• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

20MB Seagate gone to hard drive heaven...

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
The original hard drive in my IBM PC AT finally pooched out. It's always been a tad noisy, but when I turned it on today it really started humming quite loudly. Plus scraping metal sounds are not a good sign as well. I'm lucky enough that it still read what's on the drive, so hopefully I'll have enough time before it actually stops working altogether that I can transfer my everything to my IBM 30MB drive.

Is there anyplace online that offers hard drive refurbishment? I'd gladly pay upwards to $100 to save this drive and use it again... if not, I'll probably end up taking it apart to see what makes it tick, literally.

:(

Re: 20Mb Seagate

Re: 20Mb Seagate

Since you can access your data, I wouldn't recommend refurbishing the drive. There are people who have vintage hard drives (I am one of them) who would help you. What specific drive do you have: ST125 (3.5"), ST225, ST238 (RLL drive, but works as a 20Mb in an AT), etc.? I may have one (or two) lying around. I use the ST225 drives in my DEC Rainbows so I scarf up all that I find. Let me know if I can help.

I have a 20mb Seagate drive in my IBM PS/2 Model 30, but (1) i think its for MCA only and (2) it also makes very very sick noises when it spins up.

Sorry, otherwise i'd have it out and FedEx-ed to you already :cry:

Seagate 20Mb Drive

Seagate 20Mb Drive

The PS/2 Model 30 uses a 3.5" factor (usually an ST-125, or ST-157 {40Gb}) and generally use proprietary interfaces/microcode - unfortunately they are not interchangeable {not due to the fact that PS/2 PCs are MCA because models < 50 are ISA, but because the ST-1xx are pre-IDE but started in that direction and the ST-4028 are MFM}.

BTW, I thought I had a 4028 - am still looking....

No Luck

No Luck

I'm sorry to report that my ST4028 is not available. I'm not sure what happened to it, except that it may have been tested and tossed for failure result. If it wasn't in the batch of drives that I had tossed and I do find it, I will let you know. Take care.

mine is an ST-125L 3.5" drive on a card, and its pretty much dead. It sounds like a Huey helicopter when it spins up, and the PS/2 gives a drive error.

thanks for pointing out that the 30 is ISA, id forgotten that.

Found it!

Found it!

I was making room in the basement to use an old desk for another workbench and found the ST-4026 in a drawer! I don't know if it works and I also don't know if I still have a machine that will support an MFM controller to test it (perhaps I can find my Kaypro KPC-10 box or Tandy 1000SX). Yours for the price of packing/shipping - if you're still interested. Contact me.

Back