• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Collection (So Far)

DoctorPepper

Experienced Member
I have only been collecting for a little over a year, but I've managed to get quite a lot of what I was looking for. I'm still hunting for a good Comodore 64/128, but I'll wait until the time is right.

As of today, I have:

1 TRS-80 Model IV
2 TRS-80 Model 4P's
1 Color Computer II
1 TRS-80 Model 100
1 Tandy 1400 LT (my old packet radio computer)
1 Amiga 500
1 Amiga 1000
1 Apple IIc
1 Macintosh Performa 200 (non-working :( )
1 Packard Bell Legend 316SX (still working fine, thank you!)

I mainly wanted to collect the Model IV and 4P's, because that's what I used after my original two years with Commodore products. I don't boot them up too often though, because I don't want to "break" one of them. When I feel the urge to retro compute, I fire-up XTRS on my Linux box. I managed to collect a lot of Tandy and CP/M software from trs-80.com, and the format works quite well with XTRS.

I would like to obtain a working HP-9000 workstation, and a nice Sun workstation, so I keep my eye on eBay.

I haven't taken pictures of my collection yet, but I will eventually, then I'll post them if anyone is interested.

Re: My Collection (So Far)

DoctorPepper said:
I'm still hunting for a good Comodore 64/128, but I'll wait until the time is right.
If you can get to the California gold country I have some spares I would give to a good home.
DoctorPepper said:
As of today, I have:
-snip-
1 Macintosh Performa 200 (non-working :( )
It might be just a dead clock battery. Turn it on wait a few seconds then turn it off and right back on again. If the battery is dead it should start up this time and complain about the clock not being set. (you can get the battery at Radio Shack).

DoctorPepper said:
I mainly wanted to collect the Model IV and 4P's, because that's what I used after my original two years with Commodore products. I don't boot them up too often though, because I don't want to "break" one of them.

TRS-80s have always been a lacking presence at VCF (except for last year when Eric Brought his Model I). I hope if you can make a VCF you will display them.

DoctorPepper said:
I haven't taken pictures of my collection yet, but I will eventually, then I'll post them if anyone is interested.
If you do pics please include information about the Model IVs and what's available for them in the way of software and hardware. Stuff like that is lacking on the net.

DoctorPepper said:
I have only been collecting for a little over a year, but I've managed to get quite a lot of what I was looking for.

. . .

That's a very nice collection, especially for just a year's effort. I look forward to seeing it immortalized on the web!

Erik

Erik said:
DoctorPepper said:
I have only been collecting for a little over a year, but I've managed to get quite a lot of what I was looking for.

. . .

That's a very nice collection, especially for just a year's effort. I look forward to seeing it immortalized on the web!

Erik

Thank you... thank you.

I guess I'm just heading into middle age (I'll be 45 this summer), and this appears to be my manifestation of "middle age crazy". I think my wife allows me to buy these because they are (generally) a heck of a lot cheaper than a sports car! ;-)

joecommodore said:
If you can get to the California gold country I have some spares I would give to a good home.

Well, I'm living and working in Florida right now, so my chances of getting out to California are pretty slim. I would, however, be more than happy to pay you for shipping and handling!

joecommodore said:
It might be just a dead clock battery. Turn it on wait a few seconds then turn it off and right back on again. If the battery is dead it should start up this time and complain about the clock not being set. (you can get the battery at Radio Shack).

I'll give it a try, but I've powered it on and off many times, and let it run for quite a while, but all I've managed to get is quasi-horizontal black and white stripes across the screen.

joecommodore said:
I hope if you can make a VCF you will display them.

Don't mean to sound stupid here, but how would I go about making a VCF?

joecommodore said:
If you do pics please include information about the Model IVs and what's available for them in the way of software and hardware. Stuff like that is lacking on the net.

Not really, you can find a ton of information about the Model III and Model IV on http://www.trs-80.com You can also download software in DMK format (among others) that are very easy to run on the TRS-80 emulators.

Erik said:
DoctorPepper said:
Don't mean to sound stupid here, but how would I go about making a VCF?

The VCF is short for Vintage Computer Festival. This is an annual event held both East and West at which retro-geeks gather to show, buy and sell their old gear.

I've got some pictures of the last two up at www.vintage-computer.com/events.shtml.

Erik

Wow! I would really love to make it to a Vintage Computer Festival!

Erik, where was VCF 6 held? Is there a calendar of events posted somewhere?

Duh! never mind. I suppose I should have clicked your first link before posting my question on the events calendar.

Thanks a bunch!

(I'm going to have to get a new avatar, I'm even starting to think like Johnny Bravo!)

DP: I might have a battery for ya.

Also, you had mentioned under my intro about SGI and irix...
Ya got any? I can help you out with the Irix...

Also, Sun Sparcs: I can probably help you there.
You're gonna need to make a trip down here to North Miami, Though.
A friend of mine has a recycling company, and he ALWAYS has SOME kind of Sparc around.

If you DON;T have any SGI's, and are looking, I have 1-2 Indy's available, as well as an Indigo2 (Extreme graphics i think). I also have spares for it. This is NOT an impact-capable I2, though.

CoCo's have been my first love forever - I have tons of stuff.
I am hunting down a 4P, as that was always a fave - My uncle had one, and I always liked it.

Lemme know - PM me on your needs/interests, and I'll pop ya back.
Prolly just give you my cell # for laughs and giggles.

Tony

Back