• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

does anybody know where i can get OLD linux screenshots

kaibab

i am talking about round about linux 1.0-4.0 (older than 1996)
it doesn't matter which distro though

Is it impossible to get the actual distribution and install it yourself? Besides, in the very old days I think there basically only was the Linux main distribution, and then came SLG (?), which eventually became Slackware.

But since you say screenshots, you mean some kind of X11 and a particular window manager that came with the oldest distributions? Even the most recent distribution today comes with twm, and if you configure X to run on 640x480 in 256 colours, the desktop should be quite OK to simulate a ten year old product. :D

I've still got all my pre-slackware distributions as well as several other 1994-95 distributions. I'm moving in two weeks, so they are all packed at the moment.

Moving is such a PITA. All of the household stuff, my three daughter's stuff, my wife's stuff and my tools, books and collection of almost a hundred assorted computers and workstations. Then there are all of the printers and monitors. I've got 15 19-21" , 14 17" and uncounted smaller monitors alone to carry downstairs and load. I don't trust the moving company and it's only 19 miles across town, but it's still a pain. Hell, I bet there is over a hundred pounds of software CD's alone. And then there is all of the spares - motherboards, simms, hard drives, CD-ROM's, case parts, spare monitors, boards of all types. I never realized how heavy my collection of Sgi boxes is. The Octane weighs around 60 pounds alone. At least there is only 1 Octane, but there are 8 Iris Indigo's, 2 Indigo2's, 2 O2's, 1 Indy and 1 VW320. The NeXT cubes are not light either as are the magnesium cased printers. One other printer is an Apple LaserWriter 8500 - 85 pounds of plastic and metal.

Such is life. Thanks for letting me vent.

James (Thank God for Vioxx and Advil)

Blackcube said:
Moving is such a PITA.

<snip>

Such is life. Thanks for letting me vent.

James (Thank God for Vioxx and Advil)

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to my (former) collection. We were forced to move three times in four years (ex-wife's job). Each place we moved into seemed smaller than the last, so with each move, my collection got smaller and the computer museum's grew larger. I've gone from about 150 computers to just a handful. The biggest stuff was probably the first to go; the Tandy Model 16b, Model II with expansion, the Altos 5000, etc. I'm down to mostly portable stuff now, Kaypros, etc.

Oh well, I guess I'm done venting too (for now).

--T

Oh. I'm about to move in a few months, but to a bigger place so I can bring up my Mac from the basement. The other handful of PC-or-smaller class machines I have are accessible from the desk or a drawer already today. Not planning to extend the collection wildly though.

carlsson said:
Oh. I'm about to move in a few months, but to a bigger place so I can bring up my Mac from the basement. The other handful of PC-or-smaller class machines I have are accessible from the desk or a drawer already today. Not planning to extend the collection wildly though.

We're moving from a 3300 sqft house to a 1300 sqft apartment. The one car garage is my area. It's almost half the size of my home office at this time. We are tired of outrageous mortgage payments, taxes that have doubled in the five years we have lived here and homeowners insurance that has trippled in five years. By downsizing to an apartment we are cutting our montlhly expenses by 2/3. I can cut back to one job and my wife can give up her second and third job. It's just a pain weeding through everything. We want some spare time to enjoy hobbys and our three daughters before thay grow up without us.

Blackcube said:
carlsson said:

We're moving from a 3300 sqft house to a 1300 sqft apartment. The one car garage is my area. It's almost half the size of my home office at this time. We are tired of outrageous mortgage payments, taxes that have doubled in the five years we have lived here and homeowners insurance that has trippled in five years. By downsizing to an apartment we are cutting our montlhly expenses by 2/3. I can cut back to one job and my wife can give up her second and third job. It's just a pain weeding through everything. We want some spare time to enjoy hobbys and our three daughters before thay grow up without us.

And the best part about apartment living...no lawn to mow!

--T

Another benefit with living in an apartment is no pavement (sidewalk) to be responsible to shovel in the winter. Yes, over here a house owner living along a small street has the responsibility to keep the pavement clean, which gets even harder when the plough car has left a big snowplough on the side of the street.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Good point, carlsson. I hate shoveling snow
> just as much as mowing the grass.

Boy I'm lucky, I've never had to shovel snow,
it looks like a back breaking job (from what
I've seen of it).

Heh! ;-)
CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Good point, carlsson. I hate shoveling snow
> just as much as mowing the grass.

Boy I'm lucky, I've never had to shovel snow,
it looks like a back breaking job (from what
I've seen of it).

Heh! ;-)
CP/M User.

Yeah, lucky you! What part of Oz do you live in that doesn't get any snow? (I don't remember my third-grade Geography very well any more).

--T

Terry Yager said:
Good point, carlsson. I hate shoveling snow just as much as mowing the grass.

--T

I've never seen enough snow to try and shovel it, but I really hate working in the yard. You all are right, I'm tired of all of the home maintance issues.

Blackcube said:
I've never seen enough snow to try and shovel it, but I really hate working in the yard. You all are right, I'm tired of all of the home maintance issues.

Oh yeah, I know what ya mean. (I've lived in Texas, too). 115 in the shade in the Summer, and the worst part of Winter is the occaisional ice-storm. That's when people in cars really go crazy cause nobody knows how to drive on that slick stuff.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>>> Good point, carlsson. I hate shoveling snow
>>> just as much as mowing the grass.

>> Boy I'm lucky, I've never had to shovel snow,
>> it looks like a back breaking job (from what
>> I've seen of it).

> Yeah, lucky you! What part of Oz do you live
> in that doesn't get any snow? (I don't
> remember my third-grade Geography very
> well any more).

Come again?

I originally come from Bendigo & now live
obviously in Melbourne. But we do have an
alpine region in the good ol' state of Vic,
which I might add is quite large.

We're not as lucky as Tasmanians though, where
it's been known to snow on Cradle Mountain &
even Mt. Wellington (just out of Hobart) in Summer
time (December). Mt. Wellington one Christmas
had snow on it (falling on Christmas Day!!).

But Aussie weather is up the creek!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Oh yeah, I know what ya mean. (I've lived
> in Texas, too). 115 in the shade in the
> Summer, and the worst part of Winter is the
> occaisional ice-storm. That's when people in
> cars really go crazy cause nobody knows
> how to drive on that slick stuff.

That Grumpy ol' Men movie always cracks me
up & to be honest the Shovelling Snow just
reminded me of it. Especally love the way how
something around them can be so
problematic! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

I think the most long-lasting winter I have encountered lasted a week into May, and that is on the northern hemisphere then. Fortunately I don't live in that part of the country where one can expect snowfall in late June*, although in the hilly regions it probably can happen.

But vic user is right, finding/renting a parking space can be difficult in the bigger cities, living in an apartment. This reminds me of anyone who has a detached house could put asphalt on the whole yard, and instead of mowing can rent out parking space. How about that, solving two people's problems in one?

*) roughly corresponds to your Christmas Day in the southern hemisphere

"carlsson" wrote:

> I think the most long-lasting winter I
> have encountered lasted a week into
> May, and that is on the northern
> hemisphere then. Fortunately I don't
> live in that part of the country where
> one can expect snowfall in late June*,
> although in the hilly regions it probably
> can happen.

Oh I thought you were living up with the
polar bears or something! ;-)

> But vic user is right, finding/renting a
> parking space can be difficult in the
> bigger cities, living in an apartment. This
> reminds me of anyone who has a detached
> house could put asphalt on the whole
> yard, and instead of mowing can rent out
> parking space. How about that, solving two
> people's problems in one?

Oh well, I guess it's the ongoing fascination
people have about living next to lots of
people. Personally, I don't like it, but to get
proper work, you need to live somewhere
big & can find plenty of work.

What the Govt. fail to mention is that a lot of
other people are looking for work in that area
& in a way a competition is being done, in
order to pick the most suitable! Some of the
Job agencies do care, but it's just question of
finding it, with all the other's out there to just
give them work! :-(

> *) roughly corresponds to your Christmas
> Day in the southern hemisphere

Well Tasmania is such a small place (it's that
what looks like an island at the bottom of the
mainland of Australia - just down below
Victoria, to which where I'am). But we get
some funny weather, but nothing as odd as
Snow falling on our Alps on Christmas Day
(in summer). It gets to warm in Victoria! :)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

carlsson said:
This reminds me of anyone who has a detached house could put asphalt on the whole yard, and instead of mowing can rent out parking space. How about that, solving two people's problems in one?

You don't know how many times I've wished I could do that very thing. (I did have a neighbor once who paved his whole backyard and used it for a basketball court).

--T

Back