• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Loade

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
I went to my local computer place to dig out their old vault, which they were going to throw away the contents of. I came home 2 hours later with approx. 40 486, 386 and 286 motherboards with tons of CPU's (8088, 286, 386, 486, Overdrive), and literally boxes of VLB I/O cards, VLB video cards, and even a surprising amount of MFM controllers... even an external 1x SCSI CD-ROM from 1985!!

I tried 5 random motherboards, though, and none seemed to work. I hope all the mobo's I get don't turn out to be duds.

Anyone ever run into a loade like this, and if so, how much of it was salavagable?

Re: The Loade

Super-Slasher said:
I went to my local computer place to dig out their old vault, which they were going to throw away the contents of.
<snip>
Anyone ever run into a loade like this, and if so, how much of it was salavagable?

Yes, actually. A few years back, my favorite computer emporium was moving to a new location. I volunteered to help out with the moving, so I got first crack at whatever they were going to dump. I ended up with a garage full of stuff, including:

5 TRS-80 Model IIs
3 8" external drive enclosures for above TRS-80s
5 DecWriter print terminals
10 TRS-80 Model Is
Many boxes full of vintage software
...and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't rem'br right now.
Almost everything I brought home that weekend tested out good.
BTW, my friend no longer works there anymore, so his collection/museum is now (mostly) in storage. I hinted to him that if he needed to get rid of anything that I could prolly provide a good home fr it. He wondered if I had anything in p'tidular in mind, and the only thing that popped into my head was a (TRS-80) Model 4P (He's got about 8-9 of 'em, so I knew he could spare one). He said that that could be arrainged. So, I should be getting a new Model 4P soonly.

--T

One day my local computer shop owner gave me a bunch of stuff.

In it was a buch of 286 motherboards, some 386 boards, a bunch of MFM controllers (both AT and XT types), some 5.25 floppy drives and a bunch of 5.25 diskettes, and some Panasonic/MKE CDROM drives (which I made an LPT port board into interface board for), and a whack of XT multi I/O and AT multi I/O. I think there was some MFM (and one IDE) HDDs, and maybe some CGA and/or HGA cards. I built two 386 systems with what was in that kit of stuff.

Another lode was from a factory that used HP 300 (68000 based workstations). I came with about 4 work stations (2 apparently working),
some IEE488/GPIB/HPIB equipment/cabling, a bunch of terminal keyboards (and some keyboards/mice for the HP workstations), some HP thinkjet printers (HPIB interface), a big old Apple laser printer, an HP laser printer (I now wish I kept, or could get another laser cheap), some wide carriage dot matrix printers (There are serial/parallel convertable by swapping an interface card in the rear, they came with serial only). Go a bunch of serial cabling and IEC power cables (with those I use grey for systems and printers, black for displays and other accessories)

Back