• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

going rate for typing in programs

vic user

Veteran Member
i currently give my daughter five cents for every line of code she types in.

this does several things:

1) i get programs typed in for me

2) she is getting some computer training of a sort :)

3) she gets extra money if she wants it

i find also giving some money per line, has also made her want to type in longer programs, which is just fine by me!

Re: going rate for typing in programs

vic user said:
i currently give my daughter five cents for every line of code she types in.

I used to have my son edit existing (BASIC) programs, mostly games. He liked to give himself more/unlimited lives, higher point scores or whatever. I'd help him when he didn't understand program logic. It interested him and I thought it might provide him a better education...

Maybe not.

Neat!

I am hoping that through using one or some of the micro adventure books (not sure if you know of them), to introduce my daughter to a bit of program logic, structure etc..

I'm sure your daugther would drool over a really long hexadecimal dump, a'la the MLX listings in COMPUTE! or other magazines. Or maybe not, those are rather tricky to enter. Earlier this year I hacked together a cross-MLX tool to allow me to scan and OCR the listing and process by PC rather than typing it. The amount of OCR errors are about the same as the type-in errors. Even worse when a ML listing contains unexpected errors; it gets rather difficult to figure out which instruction(s) are wrong in the final result, or if the whole listing is broken.

Well, I can try to describe it in text. We assume a COMPUTE MLX listing. Basically you would scan a listing and mark the areas you want to recognize with your OCR software. Mark the columns or areas in the "right" order so you don't have to shift around a lot later. Perform a rough recognition and save the result as a text file. Open it in a text editor, and try to spot the most common errors, like O for 0, I for 1, : for 1, S for 5, & for 6 etc.

Now compile mlx.c which is a crude command line tool which takes the name of the text file and where you want to store the binary result. It will tell you if there are checksum errors and where. The output file should be directly loadable on a computer or emulator.

I used this process to enter a listing in February, see "vic-emu.txt" in this archive:

http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95acn/vicfiles/enchanted-journey.zip

To enter the Basic listings, you can do likewise, but replace the mlx step with one of the Basic tokenizers available (petcat, bastext, tok64 etc). Of course, typing line by line is more old-fashion and maybe more fun if you have the time and incentive.

i like the process.

i would like to try it out with a basic listing.

this should actually be pretty darn easy using my model 100 as well

Back