• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

broken C-64 or what

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
got a c-64 today for 1.99

came with power supply.

I took it home and tried it out. but when I turned it on, it gave me a black screen instead of Basic. Did this ever happen to one of you? What could be the problem?

Could be a dead power supply, but more likely would be a blown fuse. If you open the case(3 screws) it'll be easy to spot, and most electronic stores carry them(ie: Radio Shack). Try replacing it, and if that doesn't work, reply so, and I'll advise on further possible solutions.

dude, I cant figure out how to take this thing apart. I took out the 3 screws, but now what? i was tempted to just break it at this point. (but didnt)

you can try this link out, it might help:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/c64blank.txt

once you have the three screws removed on your C64, you should be able to lift the top part of the shell a bit from the lower part.

there are little slots extending from the top in the back where the top and bottom shells are held loosely in place.

just try lifting the front top part of the shell a bit, and the shells shouls come loose.

now, the keyboard is on the top shell, and is connected to the mainboard on the bottom shell via the keybaord connector cable, so unless you disconnect this cable, the top shell will have to rest very close to the bottom shell.

once there, you should easily see the fuse, should be on the right side of the board, or at least it is on a vic 20 :)

here is a link to an excellent, and i do mean excellent, drawing of the vic 20 board, and i know its not the C64, but maybe he has one of the C64 too?

chris

Well, I tried to do it, but I really dont have the patience for it, especially since Im so busy. Im moving soon and need to start getting rid of junk. And a broken obsolete computer does classify as junk, so this sucker is for free if you want it. It comes with the power supply. All I ask is that you pay for the shipping. Thanks for your help

ok

ok

Ok, just give me a couple of weeks. I dont want to make a special trip there just to see what the cost will be. Ill do it when Im there for something else 8)

i took it there.

It will cost about 15 bucks. But if you dont want to spend cash, I do accept old software as money!

Oh, the "Barter" system...I like that. :wink:

Let me know if there is something in particular you are looking for(and what platform)...if it's Commodore, I probably have a copy of it(I actually DO have a bit of "legal" software)...if "broken" copies will do, I have a fairly large library.
I also have a few games that I picked up NIB w/shrinkwrap, I'll have to pull that box down, but it's only a couple(although I picked up a bunch of copies at a hamfest a while back).

I'm not sure if you can direct e-mail me from a link on the bottom, but if you can, feel free.....just put something in the subject that I won't mistake for spam.
:D

Back