• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Silent Running...

CP/M User

Veteran Member
So, I brought that movie today (on DVD) - with Bruce Dern. That's so sad that movie. He wanted to just protect the remaining forest they had on their ship (because there was none left on the Earth), he killed his crew to protect it & ended up killing himself & this poor druid (that was injured - can't rememeber if it was Huey or Duey) to & left the smaller of the Druid to maintain the forest (which he deploid into space).

Good Movie, but it's so sad. I just love those Druids! :)

CP/M User.

P.S. Oh yeah, there was poor Looey who was outside the ship when they went through Satans Rings - so got pulled away (lost his foot in the process & was never seem again). Dern (Logan I think they called him) was clumsey himself - damaging the droids - these Droids had feelings of their own which made it even sader I thought!

That's a fantastic movie!

I get misty eyed every time i watch that one!

IIRC they used that model for the spacecraft in the original BattleStar Galactica series as well

chris

"vic user" wrote:

> That's a fantastic movie!

> I get misty eyed every time i watch that one!

> IIRC they used that model for the spacecraft in the original BattleStar
> Galactica series as well

Yes, I get the funny feeling that I've seen this one many years ago - the Droids look familiar in the film - course I wouldn't have realised who Bruce Dern was then.

I've got the feeling that Battlestar Galactica might of knocked off that ship. Silent Running was made back in 1972!

How about Joan Baez?

CP/M User.

a tv station played it a couple of saturday's ago!

i recorded it, but i am unsure if it recoreded to the end of the movie.

i only watched up to the point where one of the guys drives over some plants, and bruce dern gets mighty pissed. (about 2 minutes in :)

well, my daughter knows now, that this is a tear jerker of a movie, as i started getting all misty eyed when joan baez started her song at the beginning of the movie, and that snail is crawling up the tree.

oof, i am not good with these kinds of movies.

i am going to be a complete mess at the end, seeing that poor little droid watering the plants all by himself.

chris

"vic user" wrote:

> a tv station played it a couple of saturday's ago!

> i recorded it, but i am unsure if it recoreded to the end of the movie.

Oh I hope you did, it all comes down to the end basically!

> i only watched up to the point where one of the guys drives over some
> plants, and bruce dern gets mighty p!$$£d. (about 2 minutes in :)

It's amazing how you can learn something about someone in so short of time.

> well, my daughter knows now, that this is a tear jerker of a movie, as i
> started getting all misty eyed when joan baez started her song at the
> beginning of the movie, and that snail is crawling up the tree.

The power of the Folk Song! =Don't knock the Folk= & it's flexibility to work in all different kinds of songs!

> oof, i am not good with these kinds of movies.

Some SCI-FI's give me the creeps, but this looks okay. Though having said that, I've seen The Andromeda Strain a number of times (one of my personal favourites) - it gave me the creeps on one occasion! Strange!

> i am going to be a complete mess at the end, seeing that poor little
> droid watering the plants all by himself.

Yeah, it was sad to see his mate go back to the other ship - Dern is such a clumsey human - it's really another part to his role I realise, but still... :-(

The main reason I got this movie (amonst enjoying SCI-FIs of a certain breed) was the fact the Director (Douglas Trumbull) had a role in the 2001 : A Space Odyssey - who's something of a special effects whiz (okay it's an old movie), but even 2001 still looks amazing! ;-) Silent Running looks great & has such a moving story to go with it.

CP/M User.

Back