• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The origins of Techo Music

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Don't know if you can call this a rant - personally I hate Techo music, but
I'll just leave it at that.

Reason for mentioning this, is because the Radio Station I listen to plays some instrumental song - think it's call Hot Butter (or something like that). This to me sounds like early Techo (as I said I don't like Techo - so I don't really like this song), think it was done in the 70s.

Has anyone got any thoughts as too the Song in question & where did techo come from - I'm guessing it's from this song.

CP/M User.

Could the song be "Popcorn" by Hot Butter? I do believe it's from the 70s.
Electronic music has been around for quite some time (Theremin, anyone?). The soundtrack of "Forbidden Planet" is entirely electronic.

Techno pop, though, seems to have come from the late 70s-early 80s disco music. Most of the dance-beat stuff is annoying, but there were a few artists (Kraftwerk, Gary Numan) who were quite interesting. Hmm...techno goth?

Kent

"DimensionDude" wrote:

> Could the song be "Popcorn" by Hot Butter? I do believe it's from the
> 70s.

Yeah that's the one. I couldn't remember if the tune was called Hot Butter
or Popcorn!

> Electronic music has been around for quite some time (Theremin,
> anyone?). The soundtrack of "Forbidden Planet" is entirely electronic.

Theremin is supriseingly quite an old instrument - dating back to the late
1920s. Can't remember who the creator was - think they might of been
around Russia or Europe perhaps?

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys made the Theremin known originally
using it on the Pet Sounds Album "I Just wasn't made for these times" &
then the Big Hit "Good Vibrations" (which for some reason wasn't released
for the PS album - even though it was one of the sessional songs) saw the
key role for the Theremin.

> Techno pop, though, seems to have come from the late 70s-early 80s
> disco music. Most of the dance-beat stuff is annoying, but there were a
> few artists (Kraftwerk, Gary Numan) who were quite interesting.
> Hmm...techno goth?

The disco thing of the 70s might of been one Influence, I was thinking too that perhaps 60s Psychedellic was another.

CP/M User.

"DimensionDude" wrote:

> Could the song be "Popcorn" by Hot Butter? I do believe it's from the
> 70s.

Strange Coincidence that, I just found a movie called Popcorn, done in 1970 which has Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Bee Gees, Joe Cocker (perhaps even more I'm guessing - this is just a lineup I have in a Movie Book - haven't seen it or anything).
According to the book this is a concert film which features these acts performing at their worst.

Must admit though I think Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones are completely out of touch nowdays. I wasn't impressed with Joe Cocker doing "With a Little Help from My friends" when they were parting at the palace (for the Queen), sounded as if he needed a Little Help for his Voice. He's still performing - which I just don't understand. Perhaps if they stoped insisting on playing the same ol' Rock Songs in the same Vein they'd get somewhere - change the tempo, that can work. Rocky Rod Stewart is another example, except he want's to be seen as some kind of Crooner, I think he should be playing Irish Pub Folk Songs! ;-)

> The soundtrack of "Forbidden Planet" is entirely electronic.

The 1956 movie with Walter Pidgeon & Leslie Nielsen? It's been a while since I've seen it, it's a great movie though - so I can't recall what the music was like. The Robot was great though! :)
Was that Robot for real or was it just some short human stuck in metal with little wheeley things on it's head?

CP/M User.

Yeah, the 1956 movie is what I was talking about. Just read a bit about it on a website, the musicians' union protested the "composer" credit, they had to use another word in the credits. The director originally intended to use an orchestral score but was intrigued by a couple (husband and wife) that he heard in a club performing electronic music. They were hired to compose and perform all the music. Great movie, btw, one of the best "B" sci-fi movies made.

On the subject of movies and music, "Logan's Run" starts off with electronic music weirdness but switches to more conventional music when Logan and Jessica escape the city. Good movie, someday I'll read the book it was based on that explains how the city came to be.

"DimensionDude" wrote:

> Yeah, the 1956 movie is what I was talking about. Just read a bit about
> it on a website, the musicians' union protested the "composer" credit,
> they had to use another word in the credits. The director originally
> intended to use an orchestral score but was intrigued by a couple
> (husband and wife) that he heard in a club performing electronic
> music. They were hired to compose and perform all the music. Great
> movie, btw, one of the best "B" sci-fi movies made.

> On the subject of movies and music, "Logan's Run" starts off with
> electronic music weirdness but switches to more conventional music
> when Logan and Jessica escape the city. Good movie, someday I'll
> read the book it was based on that explains how the city came to be.

That was the movie with Michael York in wasn't it? I vagerly remember
seeing it, but I didn't think much of it.

CP/M User.

<Singing, off-key>When yer a Jet, yer a Jet all the way, from yer first ciggarette to yer last dyin' da-a-a-ay!
When yer a jet, let 'em do what they can, little boy you got friends, yer a family m-a-a-an!
</song>

Oh, sorry...just got carried away for a moment. West Side Story is on the Turner Classic Network right now.

--T

I thought Popcorn was more a forerunner to 80'ties synth music than 90'ties techno.

By the way, if you have a lousy CD player whose laser gets stuck, almost any record will appear as techno. At least if you're tired or under influence of something. :wink:

"carlsson" wrote:

> I thought Popcorn was more a forerunner to 80'ties synth music than
> 90'ties techno.

Could have been, but 80s synth music in some cases has a bit of
everything, Pop & Disco for example - it also needs demonstrate vocal
ability, I'm not aware of any Techo song which does this (but I've just
been limiting it to one thing). Popcorn I though is some song which skips
this Pop faze of the 80s, which to me comes out sounding like some early
attempt at techo! ;-)

> By the way, if you have a lousy CD player whose laser gets stuck,
> almost any record will appear as techno. At least if you're tired or
> under influence of something. <wink>

Whch is why the ol' Needle is still a goin'!

CP/M User.

Back