• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got an 800XL. Now what?

ahm

Staff member
So I was able to resurrect an 800XL and add a 1050 floppy drive with DOS 2.5
I have a couple of games, but I'm looking for other stuff.
I know there's lots of software out there, but how do I get it onto a floppy? Thanks.

Do a search on eBay or the web for an SIO2PC adaptor. With that and some downloaded software you'll be able to hook up your Atari to your PC using the PCs hard drive as an Atari drive (to copy stuff from the PC to the 1050) or you can hook up the 1050 to the PC and copy files directly to it.

I haven't done this myself yet, but I've been planning to someday soon(ish.)

Best of luck!

Erik

Looks interesting. Do I use the SIO2PC in place of my 1050 floppy drive, or in addition to it?

Also, the photo of the SIO2PC that I found appears to show a DB9 on one end (I'm guessing for the PC) and some sort of weird green connector with 5 screws on the other. Am I supposed to hack up a perfectly good disk drive cable to get that to work? Or is it possible to buy the correct Atari connector somewhere and build the rest of the cable?

Thanks,
Andy

ahm said:
Looks interesting. Do I use the SIO2PC in place of my 1050 floppy drive, or in addition to it?

Also, the photo of the SIO2PC that I found appears to show a DB9 on one end (I'm guessing for the PC) and some sort of weird green connector with 5 screws on the other. Am I supposed to hack up a perfectly good disk drive cable to get that to work? Or is it possible to buy the correct Atari connector somewhere and build the rest of the cable?

Thanks,
Andy

No the SIO2PC is complete in itself. There's also another cable system called APE. You should find lots of info on them in the Atari 8-bit newsgroup archive, and in the FAQ. To my knowledge the comp.sys.atari 8bit newsgroup is still active altho under the new google regime.

MyIDE interface?

MyIDE interface?

Hey, Atari 8-bit folks: anybody use the MyIDE interface?

It looks like it will allow me to attach an IDE hard drive to my Atari.
(Which seems much nicer than having to use an SIO2PC cable
and another computer to serve up the images)

But before I buy one, I need to know: can I format the drive on the MyIDE, move it to another computer (say, my Linux machine), copy Atari software onto it and then reconnect the drive to the MyIDE?

I've checked his FAQ, and the answer wasn't in there.

Thanks.

Re: Got an 800XL. Now what?

"ahm" wrote:

> So I was able to resurrect an 800XL and add a 1050 floppy drive with
> DOS 2.5
> I have a couple of games, but I'm looking for other stuff.
> I know there's lots of software out there, but how do I get it onto a
> floppy? Thanks.

When you say there's a lot of software out there, do you mean there's a
lot of software available for Emulation?

If there are emulators out there (100% sure there would be), perhaps
there's utility programs which can transfer emulated disk images to your
disks - course it's pretty straightfoward getting a 5.25" disk drive for an
IBM based PC or something else - perhaps it can be transfered via this
method.

Does that make sense?

CP/M User.

Re: Got an 800XL. Now what?

For future reference...

A hard drive initialized for a MyIDE interface is not compatible with any other system. Therefore it cannot be installed in a Windows or Linux machine to transfer files. I used an SIO2PC interface to get data over to the hard drive. (But once it's there, man, programs load f-a-s-t!)

I bought both the MyIDE and SIO2PC from http://www.atarimax.com.
(Disclaimer: I don't work for AtariMax. I'm just a satisfied customer).

Back