• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Adventurer

1. A

IBM Displaywriter printer cable pinouts

Can anyone help with any information on printer connection pinouts of an Displaywriter? (6580). I finally got an IBM 5218 printer, which I would like to connect to the system, but it is missing a cable. Simple straight -through or nullmodem DB9 cables are not working, and I have already...
  2. A

Olympia People - a nice, but failed attempt

I did not mean Olympia drives are low density, these drives I mentioned were my other 5.25 inch drives. I hoped to write some extra images with ImageDisk to use with Olympia, but now have to get correct drive first. Olympia People drives are high density, but either drives or controller does not...
  3. A

At least some success - copy /A to com1 at 600 baud speed works, characters are correctly displayed on the Olympia's screen! However, using Olympia's proprietary AUX2FILE command, which should save input from serial to file, results in 0 byte files, although floppy drive seems to working...
  4. A

Sorry for not posing earlier, was busy trying to get data on Olympia. So far - noticed that all three 5.25 inch drives I have are 360K - I did expect, that at least one would be 1.2 MB I tried all floppies which came with the computer, and so far I have a very limited success in communication...
  5. A

I had really high hopes on this machine, built in the beginning of the 80-ties, but it seems Olympia did everything wrong were they could. Yes, it is all good quality metal machine, with dual 5.25 floppy drives and metal framed keyboard, with 8086 processor, but this is where the good part...
  6. A

IBM Displaywriter Questions

Congratulations! I'm sure you will be able to restore it to working condition. Displaywriter keyboards pop up on sale from time to time. though not very often. By thehre t way, there are two types of keyboards for IBM Displaywriter - first, the Beamspring model, but somewhere around 1983, an...
  7. A

NEC ProSpeed SX/20 disassembly probems

A nice machine, but well - it does have a serious capacitor problems. First - the power adapter is most likely toast (some might work, just to quit later) - you will need another one. Second - usually there is no need to remove the motherboard on this particular machine (unless you tried to...
  8. A

Need some help with 8 inch floppy drive...

Finally got a fully compatible system - an old Compaq Deskpro: According to FDADAP it can read/write in all available formats: However, when I connect my 8 inch drive, it can really do nothing - It can write in none of the formats, and has very poor media reading results with ImageDisk...
  9. A

Zenith ZVM - 121 - just having fun

A local thrift shop find. Vertical adjustment pin broken, but screwdriver method works. Cheap, neglected, but appears to be fully working, and the result is better than I expected. No proper computer to test with, however, Xbox 360 works just fine, including Mass Effect and Total Miner...
  10. A

IBM 6580 has arrived...

An interesting fact - it appears that there were third party manufactured printers, which would work with an IBM Displaywriter, and it appears they used some sort of adapter to use them on a DW:
  11. A

New old stock floppies loosing data...

Well, the material itself looks fine, but I can not really measure the thickness of the cookie, since I do not have a micrometer. However, given the fact that not only the floppy stops spinning, but the spindle itself, it is not slipping, it just stucks...
  12. A

IBM 6580 has arrived...

It does appear to have two RS/232 ports, but I have no clue how to transfer the data - a proper software is needed on PC and a Displaywriter to do this. As for the cable - did IBM use a standard Laplink cable for asynchronous file transfer?
  13. A

A funny question from the seller...

They were made for this purpose, even the seller stated this box was for 8 inch floppies (He had been keeping DVD's in it). Maybe it is just that it was hard to accept, that someone might want to use them for an original purpose they were made for :)
  14. A

A funny question from the seller...

Recently I bought 4 plastic cabinets for storing 8 inch floppies. After I paid, I did receive an e-mail from the seller: I did look at your profile, and I'm very curious, what are you going to use them for? After I replied, that I really intend to store 8 inch floppies in them, there was no...
  15. A

Need some help with 8 inch floppy drive...

Just when I thought I got everything under control, a problem again. First- the Celeron 2.8 refused to turn on (5 seconds, and it switched off), if the connected 8 inch drive was switched on. Then, after multiple retries, it did switch on, and it seemed that everything works, fine, however, it...
Back