• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by akm513

1. A

Creating IBM Diagnostic Disk

Thanks for all the advice here. I ended up just breaking down and buying a set of these disks rather than futzing with it myself. I've learned a lot from this thread and subsequent research in the last few days!
  2. A

Thank you, this was super helpful. I am using version 8 since I am using Windows 98 to write the disk, and it had the same quirk. It seemed to write the disk successfully (it completed anyway, which is more than it was doing before), so I was hopeful. But the AT refused to read it, just...
  3. A

Thanks for all the insights here. I do indeed have a 1.2M drive. Unfortunately I don't have any 360k disks, so I was wondering if that would be my issue. I thought I could somehow force it into that format. And maybe in WinImage I can? That is one of the utilities I was using. Will have to...
  4. A

Earlier this year I took ownership of an IBM AT and guides, but unfortunately the diagnostic disks were not there. No problem, I thought, thinking that I could create my own disks. Months later, I'm no closer than I was. I downloaded the disk image here...
  5. A

Floppy Drive Trouble - Data Error Reading Drive

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Yes, it does confirm 1.2M drives. I have the original paper manual for the motherboard that talks about it. Further, I took the 1.2M drive out of my IBM AT to plug into this board and it will read and write just fine. Yes, it is terminated just like in...
  6. A

Floppy Drive Trouble - Data Error Reading Drive

I am in the process of rebuilding a socket 7 Pentium PC with parts I rescued from a recycling event. It was filthy and broken, but I've mostly brought it back to life. My vision was to set it up with both 3.5 inch and 5.25 inch floppy drives. The 3.5 inch drive works fine, but I've been...
Back