• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by alpher

1. A

Your best and worst vintage computer investments?

Boats? Bought my Shark 24 for a cool $3K sold for $200 couple of years later. :);):);)
  2. A

Looking for a 360KB 1/2 height 5.25" drive in working condition

Unfortunately my efforts to revive my only 48tpi 5.25 drive (Tandon TM-62-2L) weren't succesfull, http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?69328-Tandon-TM-62-2L-heads-won-t-move Most likely heads are wornout beyond salvation, drive works but it will format with massive numbers of bad sectors...
  3. A

Need some expert help with windows 98, how to determine version, SE or first edition?

I'm at my wits end, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, don't know anymore. Here's the scoop: I have this piece of hardware, it's an older HP oscilloscope model 54845A, it runs on normal of the shelf PC hardware (mostly). Mine runs windows 98, earlier versions of the same model run win...
  4. A

Tandon TM-62-2L , heads won't move .

Hi, I'm putting together a "twinner" box based on DFI i810 chipset mobo (only one I have that supports 2 floppy drives). Idea is to have all 3 common floppy formats in one convenient box, 360Kb 5.25", 1.2Mb 5.25" and 1.44Mb 3.5". The problem of having all 3 solved by buying a LS120 drive on...
  5. A

Decent socket 370 motherboard in Baby AT form factor.

Looking for a decent performing prefferably Intel 810 chipset Baby AT form factor motherboard. Either socket 370 or slot1 are fine, I need minimum 2 PCI slots preferably more one ISa slot would be great. BX chipset would be fine, if you have a decent performing AMD moobo will consider that too...
  6. A

Who's granpa.

I am:
  7. A

Intel D2700MUD miniITX atom boards

Hi everybody, I have 3 of these little boards that don't have use for them anymore. Specs are here: http://ark.intel.com/products/56457/Intel-Desktop-Board-D2700MUD They run very cool need very little power, I run Win7, XP and Ubuntu on them without issues. Each comes with 4Gb od DDR3 memory...
  8. A

Need help installing XP on a Sandisk CF card ( removable bit set)

Hi, I usually try to find the solution before asking for help, but this time I run out of ideas. I'm trying to setup some sort of "tweenie" system (its a P3/650Mhz on some generic i810 mobo). My goal is to have to dual boot DOS and Win XP of the CF card in the first IDE chanel, have CDrom on...
  9. A

Help please. Cisco service contract?

I was given a couple of Cisco Aironet 3500e Access Points, had an idea of using one at home. Looks like that requires a $5000 "network controller", but there is a hope. There is an option to turn this access point into a standalone unit by flashing the different firmware. But the catch is that...
  10. A

Interrupt bugged 8088 c79 only, how late were they used?

Years ago i bought an 5150 at a local goodwil store,my original intent was to dump the guts and use only the case to make a "retroized" custom PC ( I know, I should be stoned or burnt at stake for this sacrilege). Fortunately nothing happened and the machine sits safely in a crawlspace. I do...
Back