• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Amygdala

1. A

Hard Drive Limit for 386

Sorry for necroposting, but for historical reasons I wanted to indicate that 504MB is measuring a megabyte as 1000 kilobytes and 528 is measuring a megabyte as 1024kb or 1,048,576 bytes. These are BIOS limitations There are also various limits in different versions of DOS (which is my best guess...
  2. A

What to put inside empty 5150 drive bays? Any creative ideas?

Maybe you could get a 8-bit ISA SCSI card and attach a SCSI Zip drive to that. If memory serves, all Zip drives had SCSI innards, they just attached parallel port adapter connectors, which slowed them down quite a bit, and discounted them to appeal to the larger PC market. I remember being mad...
  3. A

List of independent Apple II* dealers?

Just a few years ago, it seemed like this was an easy search. Places like https://applerescueofdenver.com/ I used to be able look up sites like Mac User Groups and they'd have Apple repair shops listed, and links to relevant Apple II goodness. I'm not sure if my "GoogleFu" is waning (well, I...
  4. A

Compaq Deskpro 8086 and NEC V30

Sorry this information is of no help: but Compaq also put out the first 386 PC, September 1986, and it was also "Deskpro". So, there were a few generations of Deskpros, I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who might have thought all Deskpros were 8086s. It's kind of interesting...
  5. A

Anyone remember minix for 8088?

Tanenbaum has said, "MINIX 1 and MINIX 3 are related in the same way as Windows 3.1 and Windows XP are: same first name" Minix 1.5 came out for 68k Atari, Apple, Amiga as well as SPARC and x86. Minix 2 was only x86, SPARC and someone else wrote Minix 2 for VMD. Minix 2 supported X Windows...
Back