• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by bear

1. bear

NFS v2 support in a modern UNIX (or UNIX like)

Re-exporting an NFS mount via NFS is forbidden (or at least it was), though I couldn't tell you if the BSD guys were exercised about following that part of the specification. The Linux guys clearly weren't.
  2. bear

Where are all the Model 16B s ?

They also ship notoriously poorly, so a number of ones that did survive have been smashed to bits while in transit from one owner to the next.
  3. bear

Any suggestion on this IBM 5295G?

I'm not an expert at this but my guess is that 4 is an hsync signal, and 5 is monochrome video. Unsure of 7. Maybe 7 is video and 5 is intensity. Maybe 5 is video and 7 is vsync. But the levels/frequencies are not entirely as I would expect to see. Looks like at minimum you'll need an older...
  4. bear

Sun386i. Overdrive processors: Why don't they work?

That's an internal clock doubled frequency. You're actually trying to run it at 50 MHz by installing it in a 25 MHz board. So that's potential problem one. Even in PCs these chips caused loads of problems for (especially non-DOS) software, because of internal cache discipline and other...
  5. bear

IBM RS6000 model 370 type 7012

the diagnostic disks are standard pc style format. double sided, 18x 512b, 500k data rate (1440kb). if you ran out of space you were not writing them correctly. you don't need a flux imager for this project.
  6. bear

Contrasting

The RAMDAC on the video board is possibly faulty. Certainly, if it's not the monitor, it's going to be in the analog part of the card.
  7. bear

Identify Mac IIci SIMMs

The PLD is a Mac thing for decoding what amounts to a "double" SIMM.
  8. bear

Identify Mac IIci SIMMs

KM41C400 is 4 megabit (each chip gives 4 M x 1 bit). 8 chips gives you 4 MB. 4 SIMMs each with 8 chips gives you 16 MB. HY514400 is also 4 megabit (arranged differently, each chip gives 1 M x 4 bits). 2 chips gives you 1 MB. 4 SIMMs each with 4 chips gives you 8 MB.
  9. bear

IBM RS6000 model 370 type 7012

Regardless of console, there is no output during self-test. Only the front panel LED codes. All of (more or less) the chips on the CPU board together are "the CPU". Neither an XGA nor XGA-2 will be of any use with the RS/6000. If you intend to get unprotected access to the filesystem to...
  10. bear

I destroyed an IBM PS/2 8530 286

hmm, that's not very good. but I think there's not much you can actually have killed besides the RTC, with it in backward. You end up with power and ground swapped on the RTC, which is what would kill that. but you can't put battery voltage out into the motherboard. and if you could it's only...
  11. bear

I destroyed an IBM PS/2 8530 286

I think there's a good chance it's not actually destroyed, and is almost certainly not fully a write-off . What happens when you remove the Dallas RTC entirely? Does it turn on? It will probably not POST (and if it does it will definitely have errors) but if the drive spins up you're likely well...
  12. bear

DEC PC 433 Workstation 486 PCW10-A2

Found these in November. Told the one guy I knew had been looking; didn't realize other people had also been. http://declegacy.gomtuu.net/legacysupport/digital/ExtIndex4.html The Appian stuff is among the DECstation 433W files.
  13. bear

Ti-990

derp. I meant "Ten X" but typed the other.
  14. bear

Ti-990

I seem to have acquired an X-Ten "X-PORTER/2" 990 coprocessor for running DX10 on a microchannel PS/2. What are the odds this software still exists somewhere? Is there an active user community somewhere I might pester about it?
  15. bear

Weird 386sx Problem - VGA interference + divide by zero errors

The distortion is going to be noise in the analog part of the VGA circuit, the part between the DAC and the monitor, including wherever the sync signals are generated from. "code runs too fast" is a terrible take, IMO. if it passes memtest86 I think you can reasonably conclude there's no...
Back