• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

bflinn

Where to begin. I guess 1981 is about the best place as any.

In 1981 I was working for the National Board of Medical Examiners in Philadelphia PA. I was in the Accounting department and the PC was just gaining traction within the company.

The NBME was responsible for providing the testing materials for all medical students nation wide. The company was looking into using the PC for setting up testing facilities to replace the paper based exams. I was good friends with the people in the computer department and was using PROFS software on the Big Blue machines to automate the manual process of invoicing the schools for the tests. When they got their 1st PC in house for development of the exams we were all hooked and over the next couple of years we each ended up buying our 1st Personal Computers.

In fact it was with these people that I started my love for PC gaming. We had a PC in house and after work we all gathered to take turns playing "Ultima" - what a blast to watch the little ships and characters move across that green screen.

March of 1983 was when I paid $3600 odd dollars for mine. It came configured with 2 360K floppies, Monochrome video card, Monochrome monitor, 256K RAM on the motherboard, Keyboard, DOS 1.0 and I bought the IBM Graphics Dot Matrix 80 column printer.

So the journey began. Over the next few years I merged my accounting knowledge with my passion for the new computers to become a Financial Systems Analyst. Using the PC to automate and streamline manual tasks and better analyze data was what I did.

31 years later I have a closet full of all the hardware, software and reading materials that I've used.

Not being one to throw things away I recently got the bug to get a one of my machines running again so I can play some of the games I have like GATO, Lemmings, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem, Jet, Flight Simulator etc., etc.

In my travels on the NET I stumbled upon this great site and figured that I'd share what I no longer need or want with fellow enthusiasts that are looking to preserve their machines or build out their collections.

Feel free to message me with your thoughts or needs as I'll be looking to acquire replacements for missing/broken items as well. -BruceF

Subarus, Vintage Computers, making things work, Sci-Fi books - movies etc.
Birthday
September 28
Website
http://www.bruceflinn.com
Occupation
Director of New Media

Signature

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." - Yoda

Following

Followers

Back