• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Bill-kun

1. Bill-kun

Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in Doctor Who TV commercials for Prime Computers (circa 1979-1981)

Circa 1979-1981, the BBC had Tom Baker and Lalla Ward play their characters in 4 commercials for Prime Computers. They can be found in the extras of the Destiny of the Daleks DVD (maybe only the U.K. release of it, though). Here are the 4 commercials on their own. Here are the 4 commercials...
  2. Bill-kun

VCF Midwest new location and room blocks (Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center and Marriott Hotel in Schaumburg, IL)

I finally called and made my room reservations at the Renaissance Marriott Schaumburg outside of the room block for the dates that I want. According to the directions from the VCFMW convention committee via the hotel booking survey linked above, I will need to call the hotel back and have my...
  3. Bill-kun

VCF Midwest new location and room blocks (Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center and Marriott Hotel in Schaumburg, IL)

Room block was immediately filled, then extended and immediately filled again. I'm not complaining about that; I'm just creating a thread for communication that this is happening and so that I and others can hopefully get rooms reserved. And general constructive discussion about VCFMW 19/2024...
  4. Bill-kun

Monty Python's Argument Sketch performed with two vintage speech synthesizers

Found this after watching LGR's video on the DECtalk, and this was too good to not pass on. 😄
  5. Bill-kun

Where to get some publicly available big data to play with on a vintage computer?

Well, big data relative to a vintage home computer, anyway. I have the idea of having a program to look up and calculate some stuff that we kind of generally have instant gratification for today. ("Alexa, what's the average annual rainfall in Phoenix, Arizona?" "Alexa, who wrote The Great...
  6. Bill-kun

Looking for a few inexpensive CF card extenders

Ah, I've got a few of these in my inventory. I will keep this idea in mind for a tall tower build. I never thought of putting a CF card adapter in one!
  7. Bill-kun

I'd like to keep them as era-accurate as possible, especially on the visible front panel, plus some of them don't have a bay to spare. Adding a CF card adaptor in each is the only modern change/addition, and that is only for the great convenience (and best method in my opinion) that they give...
  8. Bill-kun

Sure! ☺️ My computer armoire looks essentially like this, except that to make maximal use of the space, I have a computer case below the monitor and two other cases, one on either side of the monitor. The cases are all from different eras, and each will have its own hard drive, with a CF card...
  9. Bill-kun

Negative; I checked and all the ones I was thinking of are drives for 3.5-inch desktop bays and they accept PCMCIA cards. Here's a 36-inch Molex extension cord. This would work with the cable in post 7. I'd certainly need a 24-inch IDE extension cable. That's 3 parts, but at the risk of...
  10. Bill-kun

Hey, I think I brought home a stack of these from Computer Reset! Unless the things I have are for PCMCIA cards instead. I'll have to look at a few up close to see if this is what I already have or not. I found these on eBay which look comparable to your picture. (The "size" dropdown lets...
  11. Bill-kun

This is a really great idea! But I don't understand it. Which end is supposed to go to the motherboard and which end is supposed to go to the CF adaptor? Why are there 44 pins on one end when IDE uses 40? What if the extra 4 pins make the connector not fit in a shrouded header?
  12. Bill-kun

Well, one thing is that the IDE-to-CF adaptors also require power from the computer case's power supply, so using a 40-pin IDE ribbon cable extension would be great, but it means it would not be the only cord that would have to be run or have an extension.
  13. Bill-kun

Looked on eBay and found these. Just what I am looking for, but--uh--that's too much to ask. (Why that much when the IDE-to-CF adaptors themselves are less than $10?) Does anyone know where I can find at least a few for less? I am wanting the ability to use my IDE-to-CF adaptors, but not...
  14. Bill-kun

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Item 3. RCA Wireless Phone Jack System. "Instant phone jack near your TV for easy RCA DSS receiver hookup." NIB. I can't figure out what this does. Does it use your house's internal electric wires to extend your home phone line? DSS is obviously some satellite service, judging by the logo...
  15. Bill-kun

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Item 1. Looks like some kind of Intel combination audio controller and microphone? Has 3-contact 3.5-mm. connector, USB connector, and judging by the icons, a brightness roller? Also has a holster that gets double-sided-taped to your monitor or computer case. There is a manufacturer's...
Back