• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by bobaboba

1. B

End of OpenVMS Community License

Certainly I did as I’d little interest in VMS on Alpha or x86 and from the point that HP withdrew the writing was clear to see. I assume I’m far from alone.
  2. B

DEC Equipments, vax & microvax stations

True re ‘sold’ though it’s as informative to see what didn’t sell and at what asking price. You do get quite a few items turning up that I’d say were desirable but didn’t go at the price listed - I’ve a few bits and pieces in that category gathering dust that I’ve put off listing. ;(
  3. B

You’re right there Dave - someone’s been trying to sell a functional 4000/60 for a couple of months now and can’t even get £300 for it!
  4. B

I usually look at the list of ‘completed items‘ on eBay rather than the ‘for sales’ when I’m trying to value something. ’For sale’ values are what someone might like to get whereas ‘sold’ ones are the true value to whoever bought them.
  5. B

Starting up a PDP 8/e

The 8/e psu has an under-voltage supply trip IIRC so after any offline capacitor reforming ramping up the overall supplies needs it to be disabled. After several 8/e psu refurbs I’ve yet to find a large electrolytic which needed replacement - good quality components eh? In fact the psus overall...
  6. B

How were VAX/VMS systems deployed during their heyday in the 1980's?

Mid-80s I managed an IC design department with around 80 engineers running simulation, layout and verification software and software development on a cluster of 3 VAX 11/785s (DECnetted with PDP11-based Applicon systems).
  7. B

DEC units on ebay

A nearly working pdp11/microvax II thingy in the U.K. ;) but slim details for the rather eye-watering price. Not too far from me but not really my interest (Especially at £3k!)...
  8. B

Chancing His Arm With A Pdp-8/f?

So the asking price is slowly dropping but still much higher than it’s worth. I guess unsurprisingly there’s been no acceptable offers either.
  9. B

Chancing His Arm With A Pdp-8/f?

This advert on eBay! A bit of a chancer! Condition unknown and collection only in the U.K. but you apparently have to pay to import it too so who knows...
  10. B

pdp-8/e power supply

Thanks for that, never looked there :oops: I've got copies of most of the bitsavers pdp8 stuff on my workshop computer of course, just never thought to look at that one, thanks for the heads up. Some differences there from the maintenance manual 1 (Sept '73) and the machine I'm repairing (also...
  11. B

pdp-8/e power supply

Has anyone traced the pcbs for the H724 pdp-8/e control cards? One of my power supplies has failed and the only schematics I can find are in maintenance manual 1 with no component values or layouts. I can trace the circuits myself I guess but I’m just looking to save some work. (The 5v and power...
  12. B

DEC H724 power supply fan removal

Perhaps factory changes? I used it in the lab from about 1974-1980 and I don’t remember the psu ever being repaired/swapped but I expect there would be a flow of final test failures and reworks cycling through the repair facility.
  13. B

DEC H724 power supply fan removal

This was my brief write up from when I came to replace a faulty 724 fan. Irritatingly after all the bother the fan was actually OK - one of the (solid core) wires to it had corroded through! http://theadamsons.co.uk/pdp8e1.htm
  14. B

Vaxstation 4000/60 Power Supply & Monitor Questions

I don’t think you’ll have any luck finding a circuit diagram - I‘ve looked pretty thoroughly and couldn’t find one. You can get replacement psus on line, not cheap but if it’s a key bit of kit … FWIW I had similar problems a few years ago and did the time-honoured fix of replacing the...
  15. B

Paper tape punch programs

*200 START, RFC /START THE HSR LP, RSF /WAIT FOR READER JMP .-1 CLA RRB /GET THE CHARACTER FROM THE READER RFC /AND TELL IT TO GET ANOTHER PLS /PUNCH IT PSF /WAIT FOR...
Back