• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Captain Chaos

1. C

Repairing an IBM PC XT 5160

Cool, I hoped something like that might be possible. I'm going to try this.
  2. C

I think the settings must be correct. The part number on the board is 03-01177-01D. I can't find any documentation for that; it does not match any of the part numbers mentioned in the document you linked nor does Google find anything. However the card looks identical to the picture on page 1-5...
  3. C

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. 😀 I had no idea there were that many versions of the card. The settings are correct according to a manual we found for a card that looked identical to the last chip, but maybe there are differences nevertheless. I'll try to find the manual for the exact part...
  4. C

Alright, we made some progress! We recapped the motherboard and the floppy drive. The floppy drive makes the appropriate noises now, and does not prevent the PC from booting. I don't have any 5¼" floppies to test it with though, so I don't know if it is working. However with all your advice we...
  5. C

Reviving a Model 80

This is probably my first step. I can't do it myself, but I found someone who can do it (for €€€). It's an ALPS DFL713A01A. It has the 40 pin edge connector. Thanks, I'll check that out! Thanks for the tip, that's something I can check!
  6. C

Reviving a Model 80

@mR_Slug Thanks! I managed it. There's a clip at the back as well. It turns out to be an ALPS drive indeed, with an edge connector. I'm reading that those are less reliable, and also harder to repair. I understand that there are also Mitsubishi drives that are interchangeable with this and are...
  7. C

Reviving a Model 80

It does still seek and spin though. Can it do that and still be dead? I'm trying to take a look at it. If the problem is blown or shorted capacitors maybe I can fix it. Do you have tips for removing it from the chassis? It's not clear to me how it comes out and I don't want to force anything.
  8. C

Reviving a Model 80

I tried booting the laptop from the reference diskette I made, and that works (as far as it goes on a PC of course), so it seems to be correct.
  9. C

Reviving a Model 80

I purchased a 3½" diskette drive to use in the PC XT. Would that also work in the PS/2? What are the chances that its diskette drive is defective and is causing this problem? I can hear it both seek and spin, so it seems to work at first glance.
  10. C

I started a thread about the PS/2 I am now also trying to revive, because I could use it to write 720K diskettes. I found another way to do that, but I'd still like to get the PS/2 to work again.
  11. C

Reviving a Model 80

Hello everyone, Because I needed a way to write 720K diskettes for the IBM PC XT I'm trying to repair, I decided to try and revive my old PS/2. So now I guess I'm repairing two old "PC"s... It's a 2 MB 16 MHz 80386 Model 80 that my father originally purchased through his work for IBM...
  12. C

Thanks! It seems I just ordered the wrong cable. I'll get the right one and proceed. It's also a very interesting journey to find, and then find a way to write, 720K DD floppies... :)
  13. C

We've hit a snag. That page says: However a standard floppy cable has pin connectors on both ends, but the floppy drive controller of the IBM PC XT has an edge connector! How do we handle this? Do there exist adapters to go from one to the other? Are they easy to get, or a cable with the right...
  14. C

Yes, it is the one by "Sergey". His full name (per the PCB) is Sergey Kiselev. It has a Trident TVGA9000i chip and BIOS on it. I have version 1.1 of the PCB and can confirm that it works in an XT. It comes without a bracket though, which is slightly inconvenient. The controller says SMS MODEL...
  15. C

Alright, we made some progress: We removed the two destroyed RIFA capacitors and replaced them with new ones. This went well and the power supply appears to be functioning well. We tried an EGA Wonder card, which should work with the 5151 monitor, but the monitor displayed exactly the same...
Back