• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by carlos12

1. C

reading DMF

I think that's a fascinating subject. At its time, as far as I can remember Amiga computers were perceived almost as a game console with a keyboard. Of course, they were able to run business software and they were used as graphic stations, but that's the general perception I felt at the time...
  2. C

Best shaders for simulating CRT screens on emulators

The latest official release of 86Box supports, at last without bugs, screen shaders. Also do DOXBox-x and PC-em. They come with a lot of shaders. The ones I like most, from what I tried, are CRT-geom and CRT-lottes-fast. They simulate the CRT curvature but, in my opinion it's a bit exaggerated...
  3. C

Area 5150 for IBM PC 4.77MHz

I think MartyPC looks great, and I really admire it's a new development made from scratch, by a sole developer. Amazing! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run it on my Windows 10 computer. It crashes before doing anything. For now, until a more mature version is released, I'll stick with 86Box...
  4. C

Quick Survey: What version of Dos for XT machines?

In my case, I keep 3.30 for the sake of period accurateness and nostalgia, because, IIRC, it was the OS originally released with the PS/2 Model 30, and I keep it also for caution, in case I find an application or game that doesn't fit on RAM because of the extra ~25 Kb that 5.x takes...
  5. C

Quick Survey: What version of Dos for XT machines?

IBM PC-DOS 3.30 installed on period hard disks; PC-DOS 5.0 installed on 2 Gb Compact Flash cards (XT-IDE/XT-CF Lite). Ocasionally using 2.10, loading from 5.25" drive, mostly for testing purposes. 2.x has the lowest RAM consumption. 3.30 takes a bit more RAM, and it's able to recognize drives...
  6. C

They used CGI to fake the moon landing.

Indistinguishable from the real thing... They kept us deceived all this time! How they dared?
  7. C

Opinion needed... Building MDA game.

Isn't the MDA a text only display adapter? No graphics at all will display, unless you found a way to hack the CRT to being able to display individual pixels, and anyway, the RAM of the MDA is too scarce to do anything. If doing a text only game, I think there would not be much problem even on...
  8. C

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Fortunately, the system is smart enough to automatically disable the internal MCGA by itself, so installing a VGA card is just plug and play. The 8503 is totally compatible with VGA cards as it's an analog monitor, at least up to 640x480 for graphics and 720x400 for text modes.
  9. C

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Yes, it does! I have the same model, mine I think it's earlier, made in UK '87 or '88, and put inside an early Sound Blaster 16 and it works flawless. Sound Blaster ISA 16 are easier to find and much cheaper than the 8 bit ones (if found...). As it was pointed before, another good update should...
  10. C

IBM 5151 Monitor and EGA Wonder 800+

Theoretically and if I'm not mistaken, the only graphic mode that an EGA card can display over an MDA monitor (such as the 5151) is mode 0Fh, 640x350, black and 3 shades of gray (green on this case). So my guess is this demo could be actually using mode 0Fh (maybe it detects the monitor, as it...
  11. C

8088 DOS screen handler and macros

Good source code I think is always welcome. Thanks a lot for sharing it.
  12. C

MASM struct and pointer syntax

Hi! Indeed, the pointer just points to the begining of the structure, nothing else. So adding something to the pointer just changes the address the LDS gets to the next addresses after it, not the next addresses of the memory piece it points to. I think this modification may do what you need...
  13. C

Wolfenstein 3D CGA edition

Certainly the CGA deserves more love :biggrin:. I don't blame Carmack, after all he did an incredible job with the CGA on the Commander Keen saga. It would be great he knew about this port.
  14. C

Wolfenstein 3D CGA edition

Fantastic!
  15. C

Area 5150 for IBM PC 4.77MHz

Is there any chance you, guys, will post some write ups about the technical details, as it was made with 8088 Mph? That would be so great...! Thanks!
Back