• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Chartreuse

1. Chartreuse

Tandy 1000SX "Big Blue" (U30) interchange

I was under the impression that the Tandy 2000 keyboard used a different scanset to the normal XT one used on the 1000s, unless I'm wrong about the 1000 series using an XT scancode set. The scancode set for the 2000 keyboard is listed on page 225 (233 in the pdf) of the Tandy 2000 Technical...
  2. Chartreuse

Screen Painter

For a final export to a com file really all you'd need is a straight dump of vga memory, and whatever mode it's in. For something like 80x25 text mode that's just a 4kB dump starting at B800:0000, and for something like Mode 13h, a 64kB dump from A000:0000 (and then the palette if changed from...
  3. Chartreuse

Diagnose issues: PET 4032 with PETTEST ROM

If you suspect a digital issue, a very handy tool for quick diagnosis and tracing is a simple logic probe. You give it power and ground and you can poke it into the circuit on IC legs and such and check if the signal is high, low, floating (nothing driving it), or fluctuating (either rapidly or...
  4. Chartreuse

reading a binary file on a cp/m computer

Presumably fopenb is an alias there to that as well. fopenb being for binary files, fopena being of ascii, and fopen just being an alias for fopena. And _fopen(char*, char*, int) being the internal function that each of those calls. Since "b" is not a standard flag (and doesn't matter on *nix...
  5. Chartreuse

Turbo Pascal 3

Similarly I'd find it also nice to get Turbo Pascal running on a plain 8080, though of course that would involve a heavy re-write of the runtime library and editor. I'd love to run it on the Altair without replacing the CPU board with a z80 one. For running Turbo Pascal on a portable system...
  6. Chartreuse

reading a binary file on a cp/m computer

Seems like an issue with the standard library of that C implementation you're using, where it likely doesn't support the "b" flag and only is dealing with files as text. You may need to resort to an assembly routine to call the CP/M BDOS routines to grab disk blocks 128 bytes at a time into...
  7. Chartreuse

Diagnose issues: PET 4032 with PETTEST ROM

I'd second the clean up idea, while a dead 4116 RAM is the most likely cause (they're quite well known for random failures at this point), it's possible that you have a bad address line contact on the CPU socket (some good contact cleaner helps there), could have a damaged trace hidden under the...
  8. Chartreuse

Audio compression for the 8086/88

Algorithms like the one used in that C64 demo are quite neat. They're not something that would have been practical when the machines were new though as they require a HUGE amount of computing power to do the initial compression but very little to decompress. A codec like that could probably be...
  9. Chartreuse

Please tell me how to tell which Vista ISO's are genuine Microsoft?

There are mirrors out there of MSDN that don't include the files but just the listings and sha/md5 sums of the files (though my googling is failing me at the moment). The odds of you running into a non-legit ISO that had coodinated with sites like that and put out false checksums is quite low...
  10. Chartreuse

FREESP - Eliminate Long Initial Delay of DIR on XT Class Machines w/Large Disks

Like many other people I've been finding myself annoyed at the 15-30s delay on XT class machines to calculate free disk space on drives >32MB using FAT16 (32k to 64k total clusters). After only finding somewhat janky solutions such as caching the value on shutdown to disk. I decided to tackle...
Back