• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by compaqportableplus

1. compaqportableplus

My first IRQ conflict! Need some help.

Should work fine with a 12887. In fact, I'm pretty sure my 4SLC/33 came with a 12887 installed.
  2. compaqportableplus

Compaq SLT/286 Prototype Revival

Very cool! Thanks again for the great info. I can’t even express how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge here that may have otherwise been completely lost to time! I had pretty much figured out the date code in the serial after owning so many Compaqs and those numbers constantly...
  3. compaqportableplus

Dell Inspiron 8000

Nice! Yeah, those 1400 x 1050 IBM 15" screens are the worst! I have yet to find one that doesn't have weird issues or lines. Nice you have the 1GHz CPU! Yeah, those original hard drives are painfully slow, and age hasn't helped them either. I would love to see a solid-state drive in one of...
  4. compaqportableplus

Nice! Yeah, the PSUs are hard to find by themselves, you ususally have to buy a whole system to get one (which I have done many times). Good excuse to get another SLT! :ROFLMAO: I'm not at all surprised to hear it fired right up and works fine, because you CANNOT kill the SLTs! They are some...
  5. compaqportableplus

Interesting! I would love to know for sure what the 0 means, but we may never know. I have a couple of Compaq prototypes that start with 0, an SLT 386s/20 and an unreleased LTE 4/100cx (you can search here the forums and you'll see them), one prototype that starts with a 6 (an LTE 386s/20) and...
  6. compaqportableplus

Wow, that’s so cool you worked on the assembly line back in the day! That must’ve been an awesome job. Great info, thank you! Very cool to finally know what the first digit of the serial means. My earlier SLT serials all start with a 1 and my later ones start with a 6. I assume the “6” means a...
  7. compaqportableplus

IBM PC 5150 Rev. A S/N: 0126215

I actually haven't gotten to it yet! The machine is pretty much done otherwise though, so what will be the last step. Now that it's a little warmer here I hope to get to it fairly soon. I don't plan on trying to replicate the textured finish exactly, as that would be impossible with the tools I...
  8. compaqportableplus

Compaq SLT/286 - My Review

I do not unfortunately. I actually wouldn't mind having one ore two more myself. You also mentioned you have a few SLTs above. Do you have any pics of them and are they for sale? I might be interested in them depending on a few things (if they are for sale that is).
  9. compaqportableplus

Compac LTE lite 4-33c..

The drive in these uses a tiny belt as described above. Very hard to find a replacement for. I never found a good replacement in over a decade of playing with these laptops. The solution I used is to replace the Citizen drive with a common TEAC, which does NOT use a belt. This is NOT a...
  10. compaqportableplus

IBM XT build almost finished!

Just thought I’d post a little update on the XT. I found a nicer original 130w PSU for it (more on where I found it below). The one that was in here was an original IBM part, but it was definitely a replacement later model supply. Here’s a pic of the machine with its “new” PSU. Other than...
  11. compaqportableplus

My first IRQ conflict! Need some help.

Yeah, they seem solid at first, but their poor build quality becomes more apparent the more you work with them. That's why I dropped my three AST Ascentia P Series laptops like a hot potato.
  12. compaqportableplus

Vette! (1989) - Can’t get Hercules mode to work!

Oh, excellent! I was looking for the manual but didn’t see it. Must have been right there in my face and I missed it, oops. Thanks for the help! Should be able to get it running now, hopefully.
  13. compaqportableplus

Vette! (1989) - Can’t get Hercules mode to work!

This game allegedly supports Hercules, but I can’t get it to run on my IBM XT with a genuine Hercules card! I have downloaded several different copies of the game, none of which have worked. I just get a blinking cursor and hear the game sounds, as if it’s trying to run in CGA mode. Is there...
  14. compaqportableplus

IBM PC 5150 Rev. A S/N: 0126215

Picked up an expansion card for this PC, it’s an original IBM serial card! It’s the early version with the wider, black slot cover and no jumper for the XT slot 8. This is great to have since this PC didn’t have a serial port. I haven’t plugged anything into it yet, but I ran a system...
  15. compaqportableplus

IBM 5150 08/16/82 BIOS - Has anyone ever seen this?

Finally got around to running it again and waiting the proper amount of time. Here’s the result!
Back