• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Crashedfiesta

1. Crashedfiesta

Epson PX-8 Oval Display Adaptor

Absolutely awesome work. Even though I have the original, I'm tempted to make the modern version too! Fantastic! 😁
  2. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Latest update... https://crashedfiesta.blogspot.com/2024/02/socket-to-em-torch-triple-x-part-5.html In actual fact I'm now bouncing between two errors. There's the 'short long short short' error that means the video RAM is corrupted, and then there's the 'short long long long' error that means...
  3. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

All capacitors that I removed have been checked and the out of spec ones replaced. No change. I started to remove more of the chips to test them (and put sockets in) and I got a bit carried away and removed pretty much every chip (except some RAM that I had already removed and tested). At least...
  4. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Minor update. I connected the bench supply to the board with all accessories removed. Current limited to 2amp. Supply went straight into current limiting (as predicted). The voltage across all of the chips was 1.732v I tried removing the three main chips (CPU, MMU and DMA controller) and the...
  5. Crashedfiesta

Sent some pics over email but added them here too. Not sure if the forums will 'downgrade' the resolution. Let me know if you need any more! :)
  6. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Right. So in a fit of pique I switched the ATX supply on and left it on. Turns out, I've worn the on/off switch out... DOH! Shorting the switch and it's absolutely fine. I have desoldered EVERY ceramic cap and tested them all. There are a group of about five 100nf that are reading less than...
  7. Crashedfiesta

Exciting stuff! I shall try and get out there tonight. 😁
  8. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

OK. So I'm probably going to give up on this machine. A second ATX power supply has gone bang, the common denominator being that it was driving the Torch motherboard. The 5v rail is consistently low at 4.2v and only 3.9v at the 68010 processor. Something on this board is dragging things down and...
  9. Crashedfiesta

Happy Christmas! 🌲☃️
  10. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Ooh, a list of errors would be great. Having spent the last couple of months looking at them it's difficult to see the wood for the trees. 🙂 I don't really know how close to booting. I've ordered a new DMA controller because a) it seems to be the main chip that touches both the data and address...
  11. Crashedfiesta

Wow! Amazing! Can't wait for the next post! 👍😁
  12. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

New version of the schematics attached with a few updates and error corrections. Usual disclaimers apply. In some good news I've managed to verify that the video RAM is all working correctly. I've also ordered a new DMA controller chip since that seems to be one of the main drivers of the...
  13. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Hmmm. I thought it was the other way around so the HLT and RST lines were active low i.e. if HLT is low then the system is halted. 🤔 For the key disk I do know that if the key value on the hard disk is different to the value held in the battery backed up RAM then it demands the key disk. That's...
  14. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Been out prodding the motherboard. On the 68010 the halt signal is high (correct), the reset signal is high (also correct) and bus error is also high. So this CPU should be running code. But the address and data buses are dead with no activity. A few data lines are stuck high but most are at...
  15. Crashedfiesta

Torch Triple X c1985.

Scanned the handbook. It was a pain in the rear to do! Stupid small pages kept jamming the document feeder. But 'tis done. :) It's too big to upload here, so here's a Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-CdBbWBmvDG-b-ecxJUCfgMqVsixq05R/view?usp=drive_link Let me know if you...
Back