• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Digitalman

1. D

Reviving an Orchid PCturbo 286e Accelerator Card

I figured, unfortunately I don't have that kind of equipment.
  2. D

Another update here.... I decided to play some "chip roulette" and start swapping out some logic ICs. Since I was getting parity errors I figured I would start with those. I replaced all the 74F280ANs, 9-bit parity IC. All I could find were 74F280BN, I assume these are compatible. I also...
  3. D

Need help with BlueSCSI

Turns out I had my resistor arrays in backwards... doh! Working now that I reversed them all.
  4. D

File Read Error on C128 floppy disks

Have you tried formatting a disk in 1571 mode? (double sided). It's possible the top head is failing. I've had this happen on a number of 1571s.
  5. D

Need help with BlueSCSI

Trying to figure out why my BlueSCSI is not working. (Not sure the version but it's an STM controller) Pentium 133 MoBo running Windows 98. Tried two different SCSI cards: Adaptec AHA-1510A(ISA) and AHA-2930 (PCI) The images are mounting ok according to the LOG file. The 2930 BIOS hangs...
  6. D

Small update from my end.... I finally got around to installing a new (old) memory controller into my "bad" board. As suspected it has helped to stabilize the board but it still gives me the parity or opcode errors. I swapped RAM boards between my two cards with no success. (both boards test...
  7. D

Awesome, nice work! So glad you got it going. I'm glad I found this thread, you've been an enormous help. I don't think I'd be as far along in my own troubleshooting with out it. I have a memory controller on route, but will be a couple of weeks yet. For comparison, here is my setup and...
  8. D

That's great! Looking forward to the results.
  9. D

Thanks! Well...one board appears to be working perfectly. I'm hoping the memory controller will help stabilize the other board to troubleshoot further. At this stage suspecting bad RAM. Would be an easy fix if that is the case.
  10. D

Ah...got it...thanks. So I swapped memory controllers....did not fix it however errors were less erratic. Instead of the spamming the screen with Opcode messages I only received one and was able to continue. Then I got "A HARDWARE ERROR (PARITY CHECK) has occurred" First time seeing that...
  11. D

NM, figured out how to remove that LCC socket, easier than PLCC! Yes, it gets very hot, so does the co-processer actually. Let me know where you're getting those memory controllers from. I see some on ebay.
  12. D

Assuming that's the ic next to the CPU (left)? How do you remove those? same as the PLCC? Also, where are you buying those R8207-16? I picked up some 287s (now both my cards have a co-processor) and was going to grab a few 286 CPUs (on eBay) they are cheap enough with higher clock rates...
  13. D

Here is the manual... Sorry some of the pages are skewed. My scanner is a pain, without having to manual scan every page this was the best version I could get before I gave up. I posted it to Archive.org. https://archive.org/details/orchid-pcturbo-286e-user-manual
  14. D

Sorry for the delay...wanted to do some more testing to be sure, finally got around to it. So with the flakey board, it seems to only crash when I launch programs. Almost nothing seems to load completely, all with he same message about not being compatible...Opcode...etc.. The only program I...
  15. D

One thing I've discovered, that illegal opcode message is a PCTurbo error message and not produced by DOS.
Back