• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by ethump

1. E

DEC 4000/500 with no Operating System

Sent you a DM.. Not 100% sure it went through..!
  2. E

Affordable VAXCluster with DSSI running VMS 5.5-2H4

Very nice. DEC3000 :love:
  3. E

DEC 4000/500 with no Operating System

Hi Pile-o-stone, Bit late to the party here - how have you gotten on? I'm either North of Sheffield or in Manchester and have a bunch of VAX kit I could help you with. If you want to get VMS onto your box, your best bet as someone else has mentioned would be to netboot it into a SIMH hosted...
  4. E

New to Apple II & Troubleshooting

Hi - sorry .. been away a few days. Pulled the chargen ROM and... flashing all white screen... flashes about twice per second. black/white/black/white.... No beep.
  5. E

Thanks... okay.. so vertical sort-of-flashing white bars on the screen... yet I'm seeing what I *think* I should be seeing when 'scoping the 6502. Chatter on all the normal lines etc. Lower 16K RAM is in and I see what looks to be good RAS & CAS. I also see chatter on all Dout and A lines. F8...
  6. E

I'm back!! I've armed myself with a T48 programmer, an LA1010 logic analyser and I'm revisiting the old Apple beastie! I've also been watching Ben Eaters excellent series on basic 6502 computers. Update: Using the Logic chip test functionality of the T48, I found a couple of duff chips. A...
  7. E

Power Macintosh era Questions!

Thanks all. I'll rough it out on the breadboard first before committing the solder!
  8. E

Yeah slim pickings in the UK it seems. I'd be happy to pay the $20 for that one but they won't ship to UK. Others that will are charging $30+ for shipping.. Might look down the home-brew route. I should be able to get the parts for that $20 and repurpose an old VGA cable...
  9. E

Thanks! OK good news on regular VGA panel! This is the card in the PDS slot although mine doesn't have any memory in the SIMM slots. So can I run the primary display from that 15 pin connector with an adapter? Is this a suitable VGA adapter? Seems like I might have a challenge getting one of...
  10. E

Hi all, I picked up a Power Mac 7100/80 recently. Just the main unit - no keyboard, mouse or screen. Inside, there is a couple of sticks of DRAM regular memory (no idea the capacity) and what I'm learning is the ROM on a stick, and cache on another. Also, a 700Mb SCSI disk. I can probably get...
  11. E

Databases etc...

Thanks - I was going to ask where RMS fitted in actually - I knew it was intrinsic to VMS. I have a bunch of old Datatrieve's from 2.1 thru 4.2 but they're really old.
  12. E

Databases etc...

Hi all, I'm looking for some pointers.. I'm moderately 'OK' with MySQL, Python, PHP etc on Linux boxen. Creating simple apps around a database just for the fun of it really. What do I need in order to do similar on VMS (using DEC/VMS native stuff?) Looking for a step-by-step guide to installing...
  13. E

DECSystem 5000/240

It's a bare-bones single motherboard system. Everything is part of the mobo (SCSI, network etc). The only things I have to add are the storage peripherals. There's no frame buffer, serial console only. The only thing that is raising a question with me is the battery in the Dallas chip failed...
  14. E

DECSystem 5000/240

Found the OSF/1 kernel boot log. Fails with "cm_validate: invalid version". >>boot 3/rz5/vmunix Mips boot: memory from 0x605000 to 0x1fff000 Kernel virtual space from 0xc0004000 to 0xffa00000. DEC OSF/1 X2.0-8 (Rev. 155); Mon Jul 6 23:03:13 EDT 1992 cache sizes: 65536 inst 131072 data physical...
  15. E

DECSystem 5000/240

Hi PG31- I'm a bit late to the party here. I have a DECsystem 5000/133 with a bunch of Ultrices, happy to share war stories etc. I'm over in Sheffield & Manc so not too far away. Interested in your efforts to get OSF working. There are kits to build tapes around but I've never gotten it...
Back