• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by famicomaster2

1. F

The South WTB: Vintage hard disk drives

Hello! Sadly, these drives are both much newer than I have interest in collecting, and would be far more than I would want to pay after shipping + import tax. I also can only pay via PayPal or Venmo. Thanks for the offer, though. I hope they find a new home!
  2. F

(Almost) every record holder for the world's smallest mechanical hard drive in one photo

Yes, that link does look like what Im looking for! Thanks much!
  3. F

Those I would be very interested in as well. Message sent
  4. F

Seagate Barracuda is considerably newer than I collect, sadly. I tend to stop about 1994, sometimes I extend this for particularly interesting drives, but never anything SATA.
  5. F

The South Vintage hard disks (again)

I would be very interested in that Shugart SA-604. I collect the "weirdos" of the hard drive world from this era. I'll send you a DM - Functionality is not an issue for any of them.
  6. F

The South Vintage hard disks (again)

Interesting! I know a gentleman with an SD-510 but I don't believe his lock looks like that. I also personally have an SD-540-10-U but it looks somewhat different than that SD-540. It also is very intermittent. If you're ever interested in selling them, I would be more than happy to pay the...
  7. F

AT controllers that support unbuffered seek

I am very well aware of how simple the interface is. Reimplementing about 20 pieces of test and benchmark software from the PC to some random microcontroller would be the difficult part. Good luck finding source for most of them. For any of those seek time benchmarks to be valid, I would then...
  8. F

Rather than spend a full year of my free time reinventing the wheel, why would I not use the existing standard software by which I have already tested hundreds of other drives? Do you know of a controller or not? I will never be convinced to consider the alternative of building my own entire...
  9. F

No, we've spoken before. I have no intention of storing or retrieving data from these disks. The fun for me is in the mechanical movement. There is a large suite of benchmark and testing software for PC that I want to rub against these drives to demonstrate their mechanical operation to others...
  10. F

The MFM emulator is massively overpriced and overcomplicated, and doesn't really achieve what I want here. I was lent one for testing but sent it back after a couple days. The drive generates the seek complete signal. It shouldn't have any bearing on the controller. The ST-506 generates it's...
  11. F

Yes, the 7287 is an RLL controller. The seek complete signal? Why does that need to be monitored? The controller operates fine with over a hundred other drives, the only drives it has difficulty with are those that do not support buffered seek.
  12. F

That much I am not sure. It's a DTC 7287 if you were curious. I have several controllers, but 8 bit ones do not work in this machine.
  13. F

Any of the drives listed in my first post. They all behave exactly the same. The controller is in a 16-bit slot, and it's configured at the primary address. The floppy controller is enabled and so is the BIOS.
  14. F

Actually, it was via one of your posts that I found it was not entirely software defined. Of course, if I single step drives very slowly it will work. It will work fine during the low level format on my current controller, but as soon as it does any other seek it will fail.
Back