• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by JayesonLS

1. J

8 bit IDE (XTA) Replacement Project

Nice work CallinElvis. I missed a few months of notifications on this thread somehow. I am glad you have made a solution.
  2. J

To the PC, XTA look basically the same as an XT MFM controller. I use the WD1002S-WX2 manual for reference.
  3. J

Cool! Any chance I can get the code for this so I can see what it does?
  4. J

I analyzed the BIOS HD parameter tables for the Tandy 1100 HD and the PrairieTek/AGC laptop and got the following. It looks like the 2.5" 20MB XTA Connor drives reports drive type 0. On both BIOSes this uses 615 (267 hex) cylinders, 4 heads and 17 sectors per track. I just checked and this also...
  5. J

Good stuff Callin. I am planning to use the oscilloscope when it comes time to capture the DMA signals. I don't know why but I find the ISA bus DMA specifications to be a little unclear. Especially when looking at different transfer modes. I'll just copy what already works :-)
  6. J

A while ago I analysed both of these BIOS hoping to find latent hard drive code but found none. I'm super happy to have the 1100hd image. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it soon. I would like to have this one available for analysis if it is not too much trouble. I concur. I have...
  7. J

It is lost in the long thread somewhere, but the IBM 8 bit IDE drives you mention are definitely not XTA drives. The needed electronics are almost identical but the communication protocols and registers are significantly different. Other than mechanical, the same hardware should work for XTA and...
  8. J

I've been super busy for a few months and haven't had any spare time for this project. I hope to get back to it soon because it is a fun one. Sorry for not replying to the messages from folks. I did not get any notifications, I assume due to the forum change. I should be getting them now...
  9. J

The programmable IO program for control register reads is now implemented. Port 321 and 322 are returning expected values. 320 and 324 are not responding as expected. This is with my 486 ISA bus overclocked to 16MHz and the timings seem to be (just) good enough. I have to say, while using the...
  10. J

Some more baby steps forward. I was hoping to be a bit further forward at this point but progress is progress. I have implemented the handling of control register writes via the Pico's programmable IO. This hardware connected to an XTA interface card: plus these commands on the DOS PC...
  11. J

So this is fun! My first prototype boards for the XTA replacement came in. Because the RPi Pico IO is so programmable, I was able write something that captures reads and writes going through the IDE cable. I did some capture of the boot sequence communications that happen with different drives...
  12. J

I did a schematic and layout for the 3.5" XTA variant of the drive. It is designed to fit into an inexpensive, metal 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter. I decided against putting and IBM edge connector on the other end to keep things simple and the board small. The Pico has very high switching speeds...
  13. J

A bit of an update: I'm making baby steps forward. I was able to get some code running on the Raspberry Pi Pico programmable IO. It is pretty hardcode and delivers. I implemented a mock up of simplified ISA bus IO write timing. I will then use this to test my PIO code for handling ISA writes...
  14. J

XTIDE Universal BIOS

I have created an implementation of SST39SF0x0 flash ROM programming for the XT-IDE configurator (XTIDECFG.EXE). These are used on the Lo-tech XT-CF-lite and some of Rob Kreneki's Tandy 1000 EX/HX upgrades. I use them on all of my designs too. I expect there are more. There is already a command...
  15. J

The XTA interface boards came in. I assembled one to test. It seems to work with both the ST05X and WD BIOSes. At least with my ST351 A/X. I tested my WD93024-X drive with the WD BIOS and it just hung on boot. That drive stopped working in my TL/2 also so I think it is probably bad. Darn! After...
Back