• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by JDT

1. J

omg omg omg, I just got an IBM 5162!

Something to add, the original battery leaked all over the 5-pin DIN keyboard connector, pins 4 & 5 have continuity, as do the through-hole mounts on the bottom... thinking its a problem. Using this diagram. https://cdn.instructables.com/FPQ/8XUM/HPG4NMTS/FPQ8XUMHPG4NMTS.LARGE.jpg What are...
  2. J

So I've tried my entire collection of 8 & 16 bit vga cards... do I need to break out the hercules card and my IBM 5151? Thought i had a 16-bit Mach32... it was VLB
  3. J

So I actually found a i286-6 in my collection, at the bottom lol. Seriously, I have hundreds of procs, 8088 to 1366/2011. Anyway I think the original PSU is shot, it would only spin the fan momentarily and then shut off. So I grabbed a test PSU and connected it to the board, it stays powered on...
  4. J

OK, Guys (&Gals)! IBM 5162 Acquired! And... as they said, it fires up - but no post whatsoever. Opening the case I Find there is not CPU, Co-Proc, or Video card... SO in my VAST CPU collection... I apparently don't have an extra i286-6mhz CPU =( ... I do have a 10MHz cpu - would this "work" as...
  5. J

Not really post worthy without pictures, I'm going to drive a few hours away to snag it this weekend, but this machine was my holy grail that I've desired for decades... hopefully I can restore it and make it functional. That is all.
  6. J

Hello Again! & IBM 5150 error code A0DF 201

Greetings, my fellow nerds, long time no chat. Tonight is the first time in a decade? of logging in to the great VCF, got married, had kids, got house, cars, dog... life stuff. Recently someone brought a IBM PS/2 50z in to the shop and I got to playing with it, then the vintage computer bug bit...
  7. J

FS: AMD Athlon II X4 631

AMD Athlon II X4 631 2.6GHz True Quad-Core Design 4.0MB Total Cache Socket FM1 w/ Heat Sink Fan Brand New In Box - Unopened PM Offers,
  8. J

FS: 3x i7-920 CPUs

Good Morning, title says it all. I have 3 brand new (old stock) CPU's in a clamshell, no original box, paperwork, heatsink or sticker, sorry. SLBEJ (Intel Core i7-920, Socket 1366, Quad-Core @ 2.667ghz) http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLBEJ.html $125 each + shipping from Cicero, NY 13039...
  9. J

Hoarding... & today's salvage

I *AM* a hoarder, specifically of old computers & parts. In the last few years, working for my current company, the IT dept knows to bring anything they are getting rid of by my cube to see if I want it. And they do. Laptops & Servers mostly, A year ago I actually went down in my dungeon...
  10. J

Running list of stuff to sell.

Please assist me in overcoming my computer part hoarding.... =) That and I'm broke... all offers to be made via PM and payment to be made paypal. Offers + shipping from Cicero, NY 13039 (I tend to pack things very well, I'm sorry but nothing I have ever shipped has gotten damaged) Acer Iconia...
  11. J

IBM XT/286 5162 wanted

I am still looking for this machine of myth and legend, to compelte my IBM 51xx collection. Seems in the last few months of not checking like I should have been, I've missed an opertunity or three. So I am STILL looking to acquire an IBM 5162 XT/286 machine. Pretty please...
  12. J

fun error "906E 201" on my 5150....

Good Day I am trying to configure my AST sixpak plus to give my machine 640k of ram. however when jumpers are set as: 256k motherboard set to: SW2: 1(on) 2(off) 3(on) 4(on) 5(off) ast six pak plus 1(odd) 2(on) 3(on) 4(on) 5(on) 6(off) (assuming with switches down (toward planar = off) I get...
  13. J

1.44mb floppy in a 5150 help

Good Day, Had a hankerin' to play oregon trail on my 5150... which led to me copying the game to a 1.44 floppy disk... then remembering my 5150 didn't have a 1.44 floppy drive. So I added one. My current config is as follows factory floppy controller. drive a:=360k drive drive b:=1.44m drive...
  14. J

My 2012 Christmas project

In the spirit of This Video , I want to design a audio spectrum analyser to interpret sound levels from a line in 3.5mm jack to controll power outlets. My main idea is this, Using a computer, duh, as I have some programming experience in both serial and old school sound blaster tinkering...
  15. J

anyone here ever make a X1541 cable?

I made this cable: http://sta.c64.org/x1541.html to this specification: http://sta.c64.org/x1541c.html I've tested my cable with my multimeter... perfect, unless that specification leaves anything out? I've tried to older PCs with the LPT port in PS/2 mode as requirements state. Any ideas...
Back