• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by JonnyGators

1. J

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

14 years and still going is excellent, good for you. Not sure how to put one together though. Would love to get my hands on something that would last more than 2 years, and I am willing to pay. As much as I like fighting with MFM drives that are determined to fail, it's good to have an easy...
  2. J

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

If you're going to design new hardware to use in 30+ year old machines, maybe build it to last a bit longer than 2 years. I know I'd be extremely embarrassed if I designed, built, and sold a product, only to have it die in 2 years while a 30+ year old machine it was made for continues to work...
  3. J

Anyone having any luck with the clock on the ComputerLand BC88?

That did the trick, thank you so much, it's working great. It's a bummer about the y2k bug, but updating the autoexec.bat file once a year is better than setting the date and time every time I turn it on.
  4. J

Anyone having any luck with the clock on the ComputerLand BC88?

My pursuits to get these machines up and running as they should, with full use of their clock cards, continues to be a challenge. At this point I have 4 of these machines, the latest one I acquired being a rusty heap, with a dead power supply, which I bought to investigate the contents of the...
  5. J

2 more ComputerLand BC88s - when it rains it pours

If one is having display issues, I've found dipswitch 3 on the PC card to have something to do with display settings. It was set in the up position on the one that came with a CGA card, and set in the down position on the other 2. I found that both of these machines would work with my EGA card...
  6. J

It turns out dip switch 6 only disables the ability to change the speed on the computer, it doesn't set it to high speed.
  7. J

The other BC-88 has arrived. It's having an issue where it displays a blinking cursor on the screen constantly, although it beeps and the floppy light comes on as if it is continuing to boot up, but just not displaying it on the screen. Not sure what is up with that, but now that I have 3 of...
  8. J

I have an ebay saved search for Computerland BC88 computers, and every now and then I get an alert. Well, this month I got 2 back to back hits. First one has arrived today. It's an 8088 model - the seller didn't know which it was, but seeing it has 2 floppy drives in the picture made me think...
  9. J

Need help. The computerland BC88 is failing!!!

Wow, this is great information, thanks. You seem to understand these cards and chips quite well. Perhaps you can assist in identifying requirements for some features that currently aren't working without the ComputerLand version of DOS. This computer has a battery, and should be able to hold...
  10. J

On 2nd thought - doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get the card out and take some pics, and I certainly want to help expand knowledge of this unique machine, so of course I'll share pics when asked.
  11. J

I will be sure to do that next time I have the thing opened (which I'm sure will be soon, I'm always tinkering, or putting in the XT-IDE card to transfer over more games to the HD). For now, the computer is "fixed", in that with a little more playing and testing, I can confirm the resets no...
  12. J

I didn't find a chip of that number on the board. But I did a little basic investigating of my own, and seem to have fixed things in a way that disables the reset. Of course, the answer I find so infuriating on any forum of any inquiry of an electrical problem is, "it's probably a bad...
  13. J

It did this for 2 power supplies, one of which is only a year old and barely used.
  14. J

The ISA test card arrived. And is not as useless as I feared it might be for a computer of this age. I noticed upon putting the card in a slot, 7 leds lit up. And then when the problem presented, the 8th led lit up. The 8th led? Reset. Which brings us back to how the problem initially...
  15. J

Ok, I've ordered a post card with voltage leds to at least get a good reading on that. Meanwhile - the keyboard issue was a red herring, there's a connector on the PC card that needs to be connected for the keyboard to work, and moving things around I didn't always get that reconnected. I've...
Back