• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by jonnymacuser

1. J

A 1980's Commodore PC, running 24/7 for the last 30 years, has been controlling ...

Repost from Reddit: A 1980's Commodore PC, running 24/7 for the last 30 years, has been controlling the heat and a/c for the entire Grand Rapids, Michigan school district. https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3e1woa/a_1980s_commodore_pc_running_247_for_the_last_30/...
  2. J

FDISK, FORMAT and SYS a 10 Meg PC/XT hard drive

This has been bugging me all week. In a nutshell I want to install DOS on my PC/XT's 10 Meg hard drive. FDISK shows a XENIX partition which it cannot delete. The Advanced Diagnostics Disk can do a low level format, but I still haven't wrote a working 5.25" disk (yet). DISKCOPY says...
  3. J

Windows 95 on QEMU

Anybody have any luck getting Windows 95 to work on QEMU? I can boot into setup and go through the dialog, but when its done copying all the files and time for restart, I get asked to go into "safe mode" and it just hangs ... VMware works for me, but I want win95 on QEMU.
  4. J

Unisys CWD 486 computer

This is a shout out to UNISYS for making such a neat business-class "workstation"!!! Someone even made an entire website *dedicated* to these boxes: http://www.sworks.com/keng/unisys.shtml And a youtube video: http://youtu.be/8gZtEgd_TjU Where's my DOS viruses floppy??? InforWorld article...
  5. J

Xenix 8088

XENIX i8086! XENIX i8086! Welcome to XENIX i8086! Its on my XT's hard drive, boots from rootdev=hd(40,0) ... and wow, this is not your boring MS-DOS -- there's a lot more going on with this system, tons of commands to learn. And there's all those eXtended packages to mess with! I'll...
  6. J

How do you remove the analogue board from a compact Mac?

Just unhook the cables, take the screws out and slide it out. ;) My favorite diagram:
  7. J

Xenix 8088

What are the general details surrounding how people used to run Xenix on an 8088? - SCO Xenix 86 2.1.3 seemed like a popular version - what kind of media was it distributed on? 5.25" floppys or 3.5"? what size(s)? 360kb? - where would you get it? mailorder? computer shop? in 1983? - how much...
  8. J

Windows 95 Network configuration on 486

Ahah, its an Accton UK0022: Found the driver for it too (online -- not bundled with win95), loaded it up in the Network control panel, and everything works with static IP settings (DHCP still a no go). Welcome to Internet Explorerer 2.0!
  9. J

Yes. It throws an error message, "The DHCP client was unable to obtain an IP address ...." The cable is tested/good. I bet it is the IRQ/IO. When the auto-detect add new hardware wizard runs, it sets the IRQ to 3 and I/O address 300-31F. However, the IRQ is shown as *3, meaning there is a...
  10. J

I am attempting to connect a 486 running win95 to the internet.* The network adapter is a Novel/Anthem NE2000 compatible (from the auto-detect hardware wizard); I'm using the provided Microsoft TCP/IP protocol, and Client for Microsoft Networks. My Network config. panel looks like: Client...
  11. J

PARADISE 8-bit VGA PVGA1A-JK

I am attempting to get this 8-bit VGA card working in either a 5150 PC or 5160 XT. It looks similar to the card here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/P-R/PARADISE-SYSTEMS-INC-VGA-PARADISE-OEM-8-VGA.html But mine does not have any DIP switches: The 5150 motherboard settings for...
  12. J

Cisco Content Engine

I'm looking for help on booting a Cisco Content Engine 507 with linux. Here are the machine's specs: cisco content engine 507 pentium 3 600 MHz 256 MB SDRAM 18 GB ultra2 lvd scsi hard drive 16 MB flash memory 2 fastethernet ports 1 console port 1 external scsi lvd port It runs cisco's...
  13. J

What to do with a data terminal

Here's a photo of the back of the WANG VS: It looks like dual-coaxial cables, no? Or "twinax"?
  14. J

Tiny Remote Control for DOS

Great stuff! RMENU is pretty easy to setup as a telnet server on a 5150, you just need to have a WATTCP.CFG file, the RMENU package, and load up your packet driver on at least DOS 3.3. The configuration options seem to be a pretty complicated though, and I find myself intensely studying the...
  15. J

Here's a stupid question, how does one add an avatar / profile picture?
Back