• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by jrmymllr

1. J

Early Compaq turbo speed keyboard combination

The "6 MHz 386"? Ha ha that made me stop and doubt myself for a second. But now I see the speeds listed on the tables below that and it's more obvious now.
  2. J

One small favor: could you just let me know what is on tables 5-3 through 5-6 for the Prolinea 3/25s or 3/25zs, if it has it?
  3. J

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I said "Of course it didn't work" because nothing I initially try seems to work.
  4. J

Nice! This is the most information I've ever gotten in response to this question and I've posted it elsewhere. I'm thinking perhaps I should be using Compaq DOS instead of MS.
  5. J

That was the first I tried. Of course it didn't work.
  6. J

Weird 386sx Problem - VGA interference + divide by zero errors

I didn't even think about a temperature sensitivity with this. Sometimes a chance occurrence is worth a week of troubleshooting. And if the hot air is inconclusive you can always bring it back to room temperature and using freeze spray.
  7. J

Weird 386sx Problem - VGA interference + divide by zero errors

Could you disable the onboard VGA and see what a plug-in VGA board does?
  8. J

Does anyone know if early Compaqs, specifically the Prolinea 3/25, had a keyboard combination that could switch between normal clock speed and a reduced speed? I don't know if this Prolinea allowed this, but I would assume Compaq didn't employ many different methods of this just to keep...
  9. J

Simple bouncing ball DOS screen saver

Random question. Does anyone remember a DOS screensaver that bounces a white ball (or more accurately, a white circle) all over the screen, and could be activated manually with CTRL-Z? I've downloaded a number of DOS screensavers, but none were this.
  10. J

Trouble converting .woz > .dsk

No longer an issue, please ignore. I eventually found another .dsk image that works with modification.
  11. J

Trouble converting .woz > .dsk

Anyone know how to convert .woz files to .dsk? I have this .woz file I got from archive.org (attached) that I'd like to convert to a format that will run on linapple, which doesn't support .woz. I'm testing with Applewin which can load .woz files, and that works. I tried the woz2dsk perl...
  12. J

Configuration information for this SMC I/O card

Someone over on Vogons found a schematic file for this card on the Wayback Machine. After installing a very old copy of OrCAD I can verify this card is an SMC reference design for the main chip. Hence why it's missing the BIOS and PALs.
  13. J

Actually the datasheet for the SMC chip says "IDE Interface - On-Chip Decode and Select Logic" so it is doing decode.
  14. J

I was wondering about that. Something is missing there. But the IDE and floppy interfaces may work as-is if the big SMC chip does the I/O decoding.
  15. J

Can anyone figure out what card this is and configuration for it? I can find the datasheet for the chip, but nothing for the card. I can reverse engineer if necessary but, ughh. Are there any databases for controller cards like what theretroweb has for motherboards?
Back