• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by KenEG

1. K

Compaq "tweener" computer

I have a Compaq Presario computer for sale. It has a fresh install of Windows ME on it via the restore partition. I think it would make a good "tweener", especially if the 32X CD-ROM drive was replaced with a 5.25" drive. If I was keeping it I would install Win 98 SE on it. It is new enough...
  2. K

Mac Plus video issue

I realize it has been a while since my last update. I got the battery so it now holds the correct date, time, and control panel settings. The eject mechanism of the disk drive quit...broken gear. I had a very nice experience with the guy who 3D prints them. The first one fit the shaft too...
  3. K

Mac Plus video issue

Got a keyboard and mouse today. Soldered in RIFA capacitor, adjusted the voltage, height, width and cutoff. Re-assembled the computer and hooked up the mouse and keyboard. Glad to report everything is working great! Disks insert so much easier and they auto-eject every time now. Just need...
  4. K

Mac Plus video issue

Finally received the replacement horizontal deflection capacitor tonight. Soldered it in during a break in mowing. Turned it on and got what I think is a normal screen. Got excited and tried my System 6.07 disk. Got it to boot once, but couldn't do anything except move the cursor around...
  5. K

Mac Plus video issue

I got the caps pictured below from Digi-key today. My other cap is still in California. Are these caps OK to use?
  6. K

Millennium bug.

Here it is: I hope this worked. First time I have tried to attack an executable file.
  7. K

Mac Plus video issue

Here are pictures of the RIFA capacitors. I think they may have already been changed out, but I don't really know what I am looking for. SO, am I OK to leave them or need to replace? If I need to replace, does anyone have part numbers?
  8. K

Mac Plus video issue

I just picked up a Mac Plus cheap. No keyboard or mouse. Insides look fairly clean so I turned it on. I get a vertical bar about 1/2 inch wide that does look to have an image in it. The computer gives one long beep when turned on. I tried putting a System 6.07 options disk in it and turning...
  9. K

VGA card mystery

For some time now my Commodore Colt with a Video Seven VGA-16D card in it has had an intermittent problem. Sometimes when turned on there would be no video. Usually turning it off and back on would cause it to work. Friday it wouldn't come on so I tried cleaning the card edge of the card...
  10. K

Commodore PC BIOS chips

This seller http://myworld.ebay.com/uniquesoftware has a supply of BIOS chips for PC10/20/30/&40 Commodore computers. I just bought a 4.41 (latest I think) chip for my Commodore Colt (PC20-III). I had just bought an EPROM burner and was actually looking for blank EPROMs when I found this...
  11. K

Dell Optiplex GX240

This isn’t quite vintage, but I bought this computer cheap from eBay last week. It needed a power supply and the CPU cooling fan was missing. After buying and installing them, it works great. The XP Pro install was invalid, so I installed using one of my activation keys. It wouldn’t activate...
  12. K

PC-Tools Deluxe 6

I purchases this off eBay recently. Installed it tonight on my Commodore Colt. It is great having a tool kit for DOS again. Going though the programs brought back fond memories. Compress and System Information alone are worth what I paid. I need to use Mirror soon and then try Backup. I...
  13. K

Backpack 1.44 driver and PC-speaker sound

I'm not sure if this belongs in hardware or software. I just got one of these drives from Chuck(G) and tried it on my Commodoe Colt. Works great, but then I loaded up King's Bounty and the sound wasn't working right. Investigation showed it to be caused by having backpack.sys loaded. I then...
  14. K

ST351 A/X in a Commodore Colt

I tried to install this drive in my Colt tonight. The "Hard drive not found" message went away, but fdisk sees a non-DOS partition that it won't delete. The drive was jumpered in AT mode when I received it. I have tried it jumpered as 40, 30, and 20 MB. They all show yep the non-DOS...
  15. K

Commodore Colt (PC10-III/PC20-III)

I watch eBay for these because it was my first IBM compatible computer. I saw one for $139 and noticed it was listed as having a standard IDE port. I wrote to tell the seller that this was an error, I had no intention to buy it. He thanked me and asked if I was interested. I told him I could...
Back