• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by KennyPowers

1. K

Is there still hope for this Osbourne 1?

Do you have any experience desoldering through-hole components? I'm guessing you don't have a desoldering gun, or you wouldn't have asked :) I've used one of these with great success. Some people have success with solder wick and flux, but I find I can remove through-hole stuff pretty quickly...
  2. K

Is there still hope for this Osbourne 1?

Ya, there's even a blob of solder on the pin next to the reset "pin" Definitely replace the socket and the CPU.
  3. K

Osborne Executive Drive C software found!

Oh ok, I didn't know there were different makes and part numbers for the Executive's logic and memory boards...they're just the stock parts that were modified. I'll look for any other identifying markings next time I have the machine open, but I've got another project in-progress right now so...
  4. K

On what specifically? The software? They're just hand-labeled disks: The only company name I see anywhere is "INOVA" on-screen when the RAM disk is being initialized. Dad thinks the guy that did the upgrade and provided the software was named "Joel Guerra" (spelling uncertain) and would...
  5. K

Oh I see...I didn't know the "Drive C" was a piece of hardware.
  6. K

Yes, I have sector dumps and flux images of all of the floppies that came with that machine. That machine was my dad's daily-driver for years, but I'm not super fluent with CP/M myself. I was too worried about disturbing those bodge wires to even blow the dust off that board :oops:
  7. K

I have an Executive with a 1MB(?) RAM upgrade that my dad paid someone to perform at their home in the mid-80s. I have a few disks with it that are labelled "memory-mapped Wordstar" that appear to set up a RAM disk at drive C on boot and copy the contents of the floppy to it. Is this the same...
  8. K

Osborne 1 screen flash

@nelgin Do you have the means to dump that OZROM EPROM?
  9. K

Anything worth seeing in while in Dallas TX?

FYI, the previous owner of Electronic Discount Sales is still selling stuff on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/str/texasdiscountsales Happened across him by coincidence and just had to message him with some pictures of boxed items I still have with his price stickers on them. I used to go there all...
  10. K

VCF Midwest - who's going?

I went to Galloping Ghost Friday night after everyone was kicked out at 10pm...ended up staying until the arcade closed at 2am :)
  11. K

Mid Atlantic WTB: this exact boring beige mid-tower case

Wanted for completely impractical nostalgic reasons...do any of you have this case collecting dust somewhere?
  12. K

I didn't buy that, but I bought the AppleColor 100 motorized RGB monitor from the same booth...so pumped, that's always been my grail monitor for my IIe.
  13. K

It'll be my first time too...driving over from Pittsburgh.
  14. K

I'll be traveling via I-90 across northern Indiana...don't know how close that is to you...
  15. K

I have joined the Osborne 1 club today.

Once you get it running, verify the RPMs of both disk drives before you put it back together. You can check the speed using the strobe wheel on the drive, and adjust the speed with the trimpot at R23.
Back