• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by kerr

1. kerr

Toshiba T5200C inverter repair

As far as I know, the T5200C has no markings except maybe underneath. The base unit is identical to the T5200 - only the detachable screen is different (and I believe interchangeable) with the plasma. T5200 vs T5200C
  2. kerr

setting up a network share between windows 10 and DOS

I've used XLite FTP Server (portable, single .exe) on Windows 10 to host files - and DOS could access them just fine using the mTCP FTP client.
  3. kerr

Toshiba T3200 floppy disk drive not working

I believe they're non-standard, 26-pin FDDs. It's possible to butcher a ribbon cable to work with standard 34 pin drives on the T5200, maybe it will work on the T3200 as well?
  4. kerr

Toshiba T3200 - Long beep, black screen, no boot.

Any luck with this? Silly question - have you checked the lid switch?
  5. kerr

Toshiba T3200 floppy drive problems

Hey @shawnerz that's a great find 🤓 it could potentially help fix all the other busted floppy drives from the T3200/SX/T5200 era - a real plague of failed FDDs. Do you know the model of your drive? And what cap numbers (on the board) were they? For example, I'm aware of 2 types of FDD in the...
  6. kerr

All of Asia WTB: Toshiba T5200 (Australia)

Looking for a T5200 (T5200C may be considered). Obviously the shipping cost will be a significant factor, but we can discuss. Cheers!
  7. kerr

Toshiba T5200C inverter repair

@vbug Good news - I have a busted T5200C and took a pic of the part! It's the green J182 J thing yeah? Ignore the missing caps - they've been removed.
  8. kerr

SIPP & SIMM RAM chips database

Dunno if this is helpful, but the Toshiba T3200SX(C) uses semi-proprietary 30-pin SIMMs. You can "hack" standard modules to be accepted in the T3200SX by "cut the trace on the SIMM module that is connected to pin 28 (CASP line) and reconnect it to pin 2 (CAS line)." There's some info on my...
  9. kerr

Toshiba T3200SX - peeling off the screen label

Hi all, picked a T3200SX in great condition recently, however the Conner HDD is failing (it occasionally clunks then spins back up again). I managed to access it and take it out without dismantling the screen, but it wasn't easy! I know dismantling the screen is the official way to crack these...
  10. kerr

Toshiba flash codes

I picked up a T1900 real cheap and it has a similar/same issue - Green DC-in LED seems OK but when hitting the power switch, it briefly attempts to power on but then dies again. Hopefully it's just caps. If I take the plunge and crack the machine open, I'll take pics and update my github with...
  11. kerr

Will mechanical SATA drives ever be valuable?

Apologies if this has already been asked - I did try the search. I have a bunch of SATA/SAS spinning rust drives that I can barely even give away. Seems they're at the bottom of the nostalgia curve. Wondering what everyone thinks - SATA and mechanical drives are on the way out - I'm guessing...
  12. kerr

Was Server 2008 bad in ways like Vista?

Server 2008 was based on Vista Server 2008 R2 was based on Win7 Many orgs skipped Vista and 2008 and waited for the more mature Win7 and 2008 R2. They were/are solid OSes. There's no reason I can think of to run the original 2008 server (instead of R2).
  13. kerr

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

But going back to the article: Heaps of schools use chromebooks now, with cloud integration (aka not real PCs, not many folders/files concepts) Many of us grew up with PCs and learned to use them out of necessity, so we could chat/email/webcam/music/movies (I know plenty of people became...
  14. kerr

Windows 3.1 hdd in a pentium 4 PC

Would CTMouse work? Load it in DOS and then launch Win3.1. http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/
  15. kerr

IBM Lenovo model 8639-1RY, an entry level server circa 1996

Agree with the others already. I had an S3 PCI card with those exact sockets for VRAM. Some further thoughts: Are the fans OK? I know many servers will go into self-protect mode if a fan is not present or has failed Appears there's additional power (the green leads) going to the mobo - is...
Back