• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by KevinO

1. K

Another 8032 to fix!

@daver2 , I finally got around to plugging in that 244 at UB4. I ended up comparing the output of pin 9 from the bad IC to the good one. While I had seen what I thought was a 'good' signal on the bad IC, when comparing the two, it turns out they are inverted! So that's what was broken on the...
  2. K

Another 8032 to fix!

@daver2 , you called it again! The LS244 at UB4 fixed it. I'm not sure I understand how that LS244 buffer works I could clearly see a changing signal coming in and coming out of the pins corresponding to bit 3, where what I was expecting to see was no signal. Regardless, that was the fix. Oh...
  3. K

Another 8032 to fix!

Absolutely! I'm tempted to pull the socket and make sure I didn't mess anything up. I'm usually pretty confident, but I also did the CPU socket (wouldn't work after the RAM/ROM board was inserted, and I lifted a pad on the CPU socket, so now I'm questioning my earlier work. (On the CPU...
  4. K

Another 8032 to fix!

Thanks Dave! I'm not 100% confident about the status of my replacement 2114s, but moving them around doesn't change anything, so I think it's good. So that leads me to UB4. Sadly, being in the US, I'm currently at work for another 5 hours, so I'll get to it tonight and report back. Sounds...
  5. K

Another 8032 to fix!

In my effort to post before going to bed last night, I forgot to mention a few things. I DO get a startup chirp, and I can definitely type on the keyboard. Typing 'catalog' results in 'ka\aloo', and the garbled equivalent of 'syntax error' which seems to me to suggest bit 3 is flipping...
  6. K

Another 8032 to fix!

I sold my spare working 8032 at VCF Midwest last week, so I pulled this one out of mothballs (or should I say 'mouse nests') to get it going. Had some chips in the wrong places, but got that sorted, and now I get this screen. Ah, this is obviously bad video RAM, so I replaced the 4 2114 ICs...
  7. K

C64 Power Supply Substitute

Wish I could offer a Nu-Brick 64 PS. Sadly, I'm in supply-chain hell, and I've been waiting on parts for months now. However, I've found that in this particular forum, many users are handy enough to build their own.
  8. K

1581 Power Supply

I have them available. $27 shipped here in the US. Send me a PM!
  9. K

PET 3032 Repair

This was mentioned when we were working on my 8032 as well, and I forgot to comment on it. The last time I worked on one of these, I had to put the image on there twice for it to work. Now I understand why!
  10. K

PET 3032 Repair

Wish I could pay it forward and send you one! But I'm in the US, and shipping to Australia is awful. Expensive, and takes a month if it gets there at all. I shipped a C64 power supply to a guy and it disappeared for 6 months before finally showing up! Anyway, the PETTEST ROM (and Dave's...
  11. K

PET 8032 - No Chirp, No Cursor

Hugo, when you said 'make the ROM from my article', I assumed there would be a .bin file or something. Is it just that little snippet of code in the article? I've never assembled a ROM from scratch before, though it might be interesting to try.
  12. K

Long weekend, and very little time to play with my retro stuff. But I finally got some time to load up some programs and demos last night, and everything looks good! I can't thank you enough for your help!
  13. K

Up to pass A6....so I think we might have it! Next will be to replace the bad 6520 for the disk drive, and see if I can load anything from tape and/or disk.
  14. K

Ok, good to know. I assumed there were different support chips for each bank. Wow, that's crazy. Well, we'll see what the results are when I get home from work. This machine almost HAS to have taken a power hit. So far, I've replaced 9 RAM chips (admittedly, a couple of the ones in the...
  15. K

Yes, I am absolutely going to do this. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
Back