• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by kishy

1. K

IBM EduQuest 30/Thirty - RTC won't keep time

Between a friend and I, we have recently acquired several (somewhere between 3 and 8 once we reconcile what's damaged) EduQuest Thirty all-in-one computers. All of them except one are working (as in, POST, video out, boot, and accept input) but have various chassis damage. There is one curious...
  2. K

Some IBM PC 110 Pics!

I have recently purchased three "untested junk" IBM Palm Top PC 110s from Japan. Two of the three have been received; the third is coming soon (I think I'll be getting the delivery attempt card today). You may view pics I've taken so far here: https://imgur.com/a/3JbJDqG So far I've had both...
  3. K

Anyone in Japan?

Hi folks. I've made an error and purchased a Toshiba Libretto 60/70 Li-Ion battery, new, from Yahoo Auctions Japan via a buying service. I had verified in advance that Japan Post will handle Lithium batteries, however I missed the fact that the battery must be inside of a computer during...
  4. K

ROM stuff...XT-IDE Unversal BIOS on various NICs

Hey folks, Since I ordered 4 AT28C64 EEPROMs in the wake of destroying one on my XT-IDE, but only needed two of them, I've been experimenting with putting them on various NICs as the boot ROM and have made some findings that have led to some questions. The EEPROMs were all programmed with the...
  5. K

Misc Computer Clutter

It's a fully-featured SBC...so I guess the question really is, as GiG points out, firmware-level stuff. How does this board expect to talk to its host machine? Presumably a SBC that lives inside another machine instead of a normal backplane is a little more complicated. I would bet the chances...
  6. K

Luggable keyboard riser foot

This is a long shot...maybe the longest shot... My luggable 286, a Scantech LCD-286, but it's a generic chassis, not specific to any one brand, is missing a keyboard riser foot. Most likely a previous owner tried to remove it for some reason, and broke it, as you cannot remove them without...
  7. K

Win98 vs Win10 vs SMBv1

Hey folks, File sharing between my (previously Win7, now Win10) modern laptop and a retro machine (typically a Pentium-ish age machine without USB, with networking abilities, running Windows 98SE) is my preferred way to get drivers and applications onto the older machine. I'm confident I'm not...
  8. K

HD floppy issues on Scantech LCD-286

Several years ago, I picked up a Scantech LCD-286 which is a lunchbox/luggable 286 with integrated monochrome LCD and a keyboard that clips onto the front. Cool unit. All the internals are typical desktop parts except for the power supply, which is AT equivalent, but unique form factor. The...
  9. K

XT-IDE toasted - how to fix?

I've debated posting this because of "egg-on-face", but I figure nobody else is more qualified to answer my question: I did an incredibly stupid thing in my haste to accomplish something, and put my XT-IDE (ver 1, from the very beginning way back when) into an ISA slot backwards and powered on...
  10. K

2MB populated "8 MEG AT RAM" board

I pulled this, working, from my PS/2 30 286 years ago (in 2011, to be exact, when it was replaced by a board that takes SIMMs). It has 2MB installed, of a max of 8MB. View photos here: https://imgur.com/a/cx7Js I have not used it again yet, and suspect I never will, so it's available for...
  11. K

Toshiba Libretto 60CT/810

Hi folks! I have recently acquired an excellent condition little teeny tiny notebook PC, the Toshiba Libretto 60CT/810. This came complete with both the basic port replicator and more advanced dock, a Targus case, floppy drive and even some replacement AccuPoint caps (the pointing stick beside...
  12. K

8 bit x86 Motherboards: IBM XT, XT Clone, PS/2 Model 25

I have 3 motherboards (pretty sure there was a 4th but can't figure out where I've hidden it) that I thought I'd use for projects one day, but I'm now reasonably confident I'll never do anything with. 1. IBM part number 62X0751, 5160 XT motherboard. AMD D8088 CPU and 640K memory are installed...
  13. K

IBM ScrollPoint (non-Pro version) PS/2 mouse

Edit: no longer available.
  14. K

NewScroll Wireless Mouse (PS/2 & Serial)

I got this item more or less new in box several years ago and a good use for it has never materialized in that time. I used it very sparingly for a period of time with some computer...possibly my PS/2 56SX, so I can vouch for the fact that it works and requires no fancy software to operate. The...
  15. K

3DFX gear: what drives the value?

Hey folks. This marginally hovers around relevant for this forum, but I figure of the communities to which I belong, this one will have the most perspective. It has come to my attention that 3DFX Voodoo5 graphics cards (among the last, if not the last model released by 3DFX before they...
Back