• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by konc

1. K

Moving files around.

I think you are over-complicating it. Let me try to put the general idea in bullet points to make it clear and we can expand on anything needed. For the DOS/retro PC (assumes a network card with packet drivers available and mTCP configured): .Load packet driver .Run mTCP's DHCP to get an IP...
  2. K

Moving files around.

It's network-FTP or XTIDE + CF card for me
  3. K

Coaxing a Pentium II to use a CF adaptor

You can of course run the server on the modern PC, I've used FileZilla without problems. But my suggestion was to do the opposite, run the server on the retro PC. This way you can do all the work from just 1 contemporary FTP client on your modern PC. If it's not clear why this approach is more...
  4. K

I haven't tried them, but crynwr.com listed in my link above has drivers for the 3C509
  5. K

Any card with an RJ45 connector having packet drivers, they are literally hundreds. Do you have a particular chipset in mind? Here's another site you can look up chipsets: http://packetdriversdos.net/
  6. K

@VMSZealot wanted an MS-DOS 6 solution, so my recommendation was for the mTCP suite. It's really all you need for both the DHCP functionality and the FTP server, and super simple. Let me know if I can help with anything.
  7. K

If you have networking, FTP is among the easiest solutions once setup. Hear me out before ditching the idea: you run a simple batch file to load the packet driver, mTCP DHCP + FTP server on the PII. Then you use a modern FTP client on your PC to transfer files.
  8. K

What is the best way to remove old floppy labels?

Use a product created specifically for this purpose: search for a "label remover". There are way too many, I've tried randomly 2 cans/brands available in my country and they did the job beautifully. It's basically a liquid that dissolves the glue and while the label is still wet and soft you can...
  9. K

Please help me to play high-quality audio on XT/286 machine

This is indeed amazing, I'd hesitate to bet on pc speaker or low quality sound card synthesis. Thanks for sharing I was thinking of a combined dev environment with emulators for speed adjustments and trials, and something modern but with a real speaker to be able to hear the outcome. But yeah...
  10. K

Yes, but not necessarily very old and very expensive. If you can find a "real" speaker you could use something relatively modern and available I believe.
  11. K

Battery/CMOS problems with my 286

This board has severe damage and the repair is not exactly nice. I'd just return it because it's not working, and probably more things will fail in the future. In general try to avoid boards that look like this, unless you know exactly what you are getting.
  12. K

This is on a 8088-10MHz with a common, period correct speaker of a clone. Volume is very low, but this is what it really sounds like. My mobile was right in front of the case and you can hear the PSU fan (which is the only fan and on the opposite side) much louder. Now if you excuse me, my ears...
  13. K

ChatGPT gotcha - it gave me a straight wrong answer!

It's very-very easy to get absolutely wrong answers to straightforward questions, which completely defeats the purpose. I see no point in trying to get a quick answer to something if you need to go and verify it afterwards.
  14. K

External battery connections to motherboards

It's very rare, I've seen exactly one but it exists. After that I've been compulsively measuring all external battery connectors and never encountered another. Thankfully it's very easy to check if charging current reaches the connector.
Back