• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by mark0x01

1. M

IBM 5100 - worklog

The ac filter is what you have shown, and is easily tested with a meter. High resistance across the line and load ends. Also check the power supply RIFA caps. To find it, follow the cables attached to the load end of the filter.
  2. M

Component reuse -- it's a real thing

Reliability fades with age (homo sapiens included), so only really useful on unused or very recent stuff that is worth the effort.
  3. M

NEC Tape deck repair

Been a very long time since my audio repair days so I might be a bit rusty..... The bar across the front latches the mechanism for each different function (PLAY, FF, REW), and is released by the STOP function (or possibly a different function) Check when play is pressed that it latches...
  4. M

Toshiba 110cs Rip...

They could always be given a second chance at life and become a static museum exhibit. Mine served as a useful serial terminal. It rorked very well with having a real rs232 port and being smaller than a laptop.
  5. M

Toshiba 110cs Rip...

Saw this thread and decided to check my 100CT. It has the same problem with the RTC battery. There is corrosion in and around the pcb battery connector, and it also travelled to the other side of the pcb. Looks like the gas given off is corrosive, as no sign of anything in the plastic box the...
  6. M

Qume Terminal membrane keyboard repair

From memory, the 15ohms is good. You could eliminate the keyboard by emulating a key - a substitute key + resistor in series across the right pins at the cpu maybe?
  7. M

Qume Terminal membrane keyboard repair

Looks similar to some of the cheaper PC and laptop keyboards. The white coating masks over/insulates the conductive black traces. The conductive coating can deteriorate over time. Try metering from the edge connector to the pads and see what the resistance is. When a key is pressed, there is...
  8. M

Victor 9000 PSU

You could try these load values on page 6 of the attached manual as a guide. It also has some waveforms.
  9. M

Victor 9000 PSU

Your version of the diagram matches my board, so is "as built". The origional drawing is the same in that area as the AA12090 drawing and a few others I checked like the BBC B & B+. My Astec board has AA 11951 , 100078-02-REV and Dated 8314, so it could also be a design change by Astec if some...
  10. M

New hard drive bonks my windows Install

Just imagine in another 50 years, when today's computers are considered vintage, and you won't be able to install any Windows version on them. There were a few things that triggered the change, and I'm pretty sure hard disk was one of them. I don't know of any "supported" way to avoid WGA...
  11. M

Victor 9000 PSU

I can confirm that the drawing doesn't match to my pcb. From a DC point of view it probably makes no difference. My C9 was only rated at 85c and quite toasted, being so close to the heatsink, but tested as 288uf, so still functional.
  12. M

Need a VT220 fuse holder

From my experience with broken or missing caps, you might find it best to replace the whole fuse holder, as they do differ in cap size and thread as well as the hole size. https://nz.element14.com/eaton-bussmann/bk1-htc-30m/fuseholder-6-3a-250v-screw/dp/3650461
  13. M

Stopgap replacing Video ULA in BBC Micro

Are the ULA's not available? The cost of shipping now makes sending stuff around the world very expensive, or I'd offer you one.
  14. M

Homebrew 8085 sbc w wooden jig

The 4 pin connector "was" a common thing, where you ordered an empty shell and a bunch of pins, and just inserted the number of pins required. There was a tool for inserting and removing pins so no soldering iron needed to swap pins about.
Back