• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Mike_Z

1. Mike_Z

24000uF 50V capacitors for my PDP8/M

I see that Mouser Electronics in Texas has some. Don't know if they are the correct size. Mike
  2. Mike_Z

PDP8E Friden Code Converter

Well..... I've at least verified that my problem is with the TAB character. I removed it from the TYPE file using the R EDIT. Now the TYPE command will complete the file typing. Now I have to look over my RPI code to see what the trouble is with TAB. Thanks for the help, Mike
  3. Mike_Z

Thanks for the references. Had not seen those. My conversion code is basically a look up table. I have a list of Friden codes, listed in ASCII order. So when an ASCII character is encountered the integer value of that ASCII code can be used as the index to the list, resulting in appropriate...
  4. Mike_Z

I believe I have it. Added a short routine in the RPI code to show me what the PDP8E is sending as it sends it. Apparently, my key lock is coming from a b'\t' which is a TAB. Now I have to check to see how fast the tab is working or if it is actually a bunch of spaces? Thanks, Mike
  5. Mike_Z

A year ago or so, I was working on a code converter for my Friden Flexowriter to be able to communicate with my PDP8E. At that time I had the circuit built on a few breadboards with an RPI. The entire mess seemed to work rather good. Since then I developed a PCB from my KICAD drawing and sent...
  6. Mike_Z

PDP8/M with Teletype 33 through Modem-line

The mis alignment of the 1st column could be from the dashpot not being adjusted properly. When the carriage returns, there is a lot of momentum. Near the end of travel a dash pot, should take up the jar and stop any bouncing. There is a rubber plunger that enters the dash pot cylinder. The air...
  7. Mike_Z

I never argue with success. But these old TTY's need their oil. I can remember back in my early days, when having trouble with a n ASR35 and trying to find the problem (similar to yours), the telephone repair man was there and told me to remove the mech, sit it on some towels and and just pour...
  8. Mike_Z

Maurice, I use my ASR33 with my PDP8E regularly. I use two stop bits and don't think I ever tried just one. Since you mentioned that the Vt-200 works fine, and looking at your print out, I'm wondering if the problem is with the ASR33. It appears that the Line Feed at the end of the line is...
  9. Mike_Z

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

These latches are rather simple. I suspect that anyone that is proficient with 3D printing probably could make a bunch of them. Seems that the movable part, where it hinges is where mine has broken. Most likely from being latched and unlatched so much. Mike
  10. Mike_Z

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

Gee.... that is pretty nice. My PDP8E has one latch that once in a while will work and the other is completely useless. I think that I'll start to look around for some clips that might work. Thanks for the idea, Mike
  11. Mike_Z

Paper Tape ID's

Hello Dave, good to hear from you also. I do not have any DEC paper tape equipment. I have a REMEX reader and a Teletype ASR33. So originality is not necessary. What I'm looking for is convince of ID. I like the idea of sticking labels on the tape, much more information could be added. When I...
  12. Mike_Z

Paper Tape ID's

Hello Dave. Hows things on the east side of the pond? I think what you have is just what the doctor ordered. Later in the week the temperature is to drop and we are to get some rain or some of the other stuff. This maybe the perfect time to fire up the PDP8E and see how this code works. Thanks, Mike
  13. Mike_Z

Paper Tape ID's

Winter is coming and some of my outside projects are coming to an end. I still have some suspenions work on my 1939 Chevy and some storm window painting to complete, but Soon I want to be spending more time in the basement with all my computer stuff. I'm still working on a raspberry PI code...
  14. Mike_Z

8 inch floppies

Sorry, I must have missed the point. I was not aware that the DS disks were different in this way. All the single sided disks have a slot for the head on each side. Just assumed that the DS disks used a similar format. Any particular reason they moved the index hole? Is the media different? Were...
  15. Mike_Z

8 inch floppies

I'm still testing disks. I'm over 200 of them and still have some left. There were about a dozen that, when I attempted to format them, 22DISK reported that the drive was not ready. To me that means the index hole was not being seen. Some of these disks were hard to turn in their jackets, so I...
Back