• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by miniman82

1. M

Model 4 upper drive problem

Ok, this is strange. I ran the disk check, and the program didn’t report anything wrong with the drive. So I quit to TRSDOS, put a blank in the upper drive and attempted to format it- it worked with 0 bad sectors! Then I tried putting my original boot disk back in, and it went back to its bad...
  2. M

I think we just dodged a bullet, I came home and by pure chance the box of disks were sitting directly on top of another box from eBay containing a subwoofer with an unusually large and powerful magnet. But all the disks seem to have survived, I assume you’ll want me to run the disk checking...
  3. M

Sounds good.
  4. M

Edit- I have a long brass rod on mine, but I don’t see anything that looks like the piece in the rendering. Is this possibly a case of not spinning the media because it’s not clamped solidly? Because it definitely feels like it’s grabbing the disk enough, the the head is going all the way down.
  5. M

I have a set of disks going out this coming week, one you can keep. Send the other back with whatever programs you think may help.
  6. M

Thank you for the offer, I’ll see about dropping a few disks in the mail. Just send one good one back with the program, you can have the other for your stock.
  7. M

I have no native way to make disks...
  8. M

Drive 0 disconnected: 18/20=5vdc TP6/TP10=0vdc
  9. M

Good info, thanks! it's not straight through, the manual says for Drive 0 pins 12, 14 and 32 should be missing- they are. For drive 1 pins 10, 14 and 32 should be missing- they are. Not that I assumed a problem with the cable as it looks original to the machine, but for the sake of covering all...
  10. M

OK, I booted it into basic and this is the result- Test 2 connector as follows: 18- 5 20- 5 Test 3 pins as follows: 2- 0 4- 0 6- 0 8- 0 10- 5 12- 5 14- 5 16- 0 18- 1.3 20- 1.3 22- 1.3 24- 1.2 26- 0 28- 0 30- 0 32- 5 34- 0 U9 pin 8- 5 U9 pin 10- 0 There's no way I'm going to be able to hold...
  11. M

Nevermind, went ahead and took the readings. All pins have +5VDC except the following: 34, 6, 4,2: 0VDC 18: .45VDC Hope that helps.
  12. M

CH- sure seems that way. It’s got to be something attached to the drive, not the drive itself. Feels like an upstream failure to me, if that makes sense. Larry, see the attached photo of the board. I don’t see a green ground anywhere, but the shielding has good continuity and it wraps around...
  13. M

Like torch said, I don’t see a lot of point in looking at the drives. They both work, it’s the drive POSITION (1) that’s giving trouble. By process of elimination it has to be farther back, like the cable or controller. I don’t have anyone nearby who can write images, I got the boot disk mailed...
  14. M

Kraemer, Both drives were cleaned already, that’s usually first step maintenance for old drives before I even try a disk in it. I wired the switch correctly, they are identical so it was simple to get the contacts wired properly. What I saw agrees with the schematic picture you posted. I...
  15. M

Greetings, I got a model 4 from a neighbor and got it running (blown power supply caps replaced, brother was able to make me a TRSDOS 6 disk on his XT), but there’s one last issue I can’t seem to figure out. The upper drive (1) refuses to read disks. Now here’s the strange thing- if I swap...
Back