• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Moogle!

1. M

8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/v/M-O/50584.htm It would seem none of the jumpers control 8 bit access. I know my 067 card had jumpers that had to be changed.
  2. M

Something to beware of, just because the chip supports 8 bit mode doesn't mean the card does. Here are two cards I cannot get to work in any of the three systems mentioned in the preceding post. I am reasonably certain The Oak 0TI037C card simply does not appear to support 8 bit mode despite the...
  3. M

I would like to add 3 cards I have confirmed to work in 3 different 8 bit systems. These were not extensively tested beyond booting into DOS 6.22. The systems tested were an IBM XT 5160 with the 1982 BIOS; a Hedeka 919, which is an odd 286 based XT with only 8 bit slots and a switchable 10Mhz /...
  4. M

ROM inline with a floppy?

Back in the eighties there were products that offered a real time clock that went between your floppy drive and the controller. Would it be possible to do this with a ROM chip as well? The idea would be to give an older PC 1.44MB support without using a card slot.
  5. M

Minus Zero Degrees IBM XT memory mod.

This article talks about adding 640K to an older XT motherboard. It says you add the 32KB chips to bank 0 and 1. My questions is whether or not I will get 1MB if I also put 32KB chips in banks 2 and 3. (along with the appropriate UMB driver)
  6. M

2/66Mhz vs 33Mhz

I was playing with my big discrete logic board 486 again, and discovered that an unmarked jumper selects how the oscillator crystal is used. The normally fixed position that the board was sold with runs a 66Mhz oscillator which is divided somewhere and appears as 33Mhz at pin C3 on the CPU...
  7. M

Why is this board so fast?

Well, fast for a given value of fast, anyway. ;) Nonetheless, with an Intel DX2 66 (write through) and a Cirrus Logic GD5422 (STB Horizon), I get 6.8 FPS in the Quake Time Demo. I cannot get any of my other 486 boards to match that, using the same CPU and video card. The all ISA Symphony board...
  8. M

Need a new ROM Programmer.

Well, it seems my trusty GQ-4X4 has hit the floor too many times and now no longer works. I originally bought it after a disastrous attempt to use a TL866, which bricked itself on the first run of the software. I am planning on getting another GQ-4X4, but I wanted to stop in here and see if...
  9. M

amount of cache vs amount of memory.

When it comes to cacheing ram, I understand one needs: 64KB for 8MB 128KB for 16MB 256KB for 32MB 512K for 64MB ..and so on. Is there any advantge to be had by having more than required amount for a given amount of ram? Like having 256K cache in a system having only 8 MB of ram?
  10. M

Trouble shooting a 286.

No name discrete logic board, believed to have been made by Everex. Bought it, would only occasionally turn on and 'post'. This was a message complaining saying, depedning on which keyboard controller I put in there, would say '8042 error' or 'Gate A20 error'. Replaced about 40 10uf caps...
  11. M

Cheetah 16bit ISA 640/2.5MB RAM card manual + software

Sorry for the 20MB PDF file. I may try shrinking it some other time. http://www.filedropper.com/cheetah Spread it around the web.
  12. M

35v caps on 286 board?

I've got a 286 board I want to recap, but it has 35 volt tantalum caps all over it. Is there a reason they would have used these over 16 volt caps, other than maybe they got a good deal on 35 volt ones?
  13. M

Are there any 286's that deturbo to 4.77Mhz?

Preferably an 8/10/12Mhz machine. I actually have a 286 powered XT board (Hedaka 919) that does this, but I was wonder if there are any proper fully 16 bit boards that de-turboed to 4.77Mhz?
  14. M

Can the IBM 5162 be upgraded, speedwise?

Provided the correct Crystal, CPU, and RAM is in place, can the XT286 go faster than 6Mhz, or does it also have those ROM routines that prevent this like some of the ATs do?
  15. M

Are there any apps that let you use your cell phone as a modem?

In conjunction with a usb to serial adapter?
Back