• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by new_castle_j

1. N

IMS Series 8000 (5000SX?) Project

There is a jumper on the 1100 Hard disk controller that allows it to be used with hard drives with more than 8 heads. Jumper JA should be shunted between pins 2 and 3 if you are going to use more than 8 heads. TurboDOS will support a single hard disk partition up to 1 GB, and I can't...
  2. N

Brilliant! it's all working! Try doing a FMTF and select single sided disk, it appears to work and verify. Perhaps there is something with our Gotek config that doesn't play well with double sided emulated media? I located a disk in my collection that has a hand written label that says: "Mex...
  3. N

Attached is the TPA.COM file for checking how much memory is free.
  4. N

Why does FMTF format the floppy without any complaints, but then fail to verify it? (But the standalone 'verify' command has no issues verifying it. -- I noticed that too, it has something to do with the Gotek, when I format a real floppy disk, the whole process works without a glitch. Perhaps...
  5. N

Wonderful! Please send me your latest GEN/PAR files. I had forgotten that the 401 and 930 floppy controllers were supported by the same driver! One other thing to know about IPLALL is that it has a pretty long delay built into it before it probes the hard drive for booting. You will also have...
  6. N

Beautiful! I never found what "On time" and "Off time" meant, it's not documented in any of the materials I have. I can only assume that it has something to do with head settling time.
  7. N

In your PAR file of the 1.3 and 1.4 versions, make sure you have the following: AUTUSR = 80 ;Automatic logon to user 0, privileged You can also send me your GEN/PAR file for me to examine for other suggestions... One thing about the IMS floppy driver, they split it up into a bunch of...
  8. N

Very impressive! The velocity of your progress is remarkable. For the 1.41 TurboDOS, what did you use for the floppy disk drivers? The order of the REL files matters only when dealing with Disk drivers and Circuit drivers, if you have more that 1 disk driver for example a floppy and a hard...
  9. N

If you view the .IMD disk images in a text editor, you will see a comment in them where I kept the serial numbers.
  10. N

Here's another tool you're going to need, RS08.COM, each of the .REL files are serialized and can only be GENned with the matching GEN.COM that came on the disk when purchased. I expect that we will be copying the .REL drivers for the 401 floppy in the 1.2 or 1.3 version onto the 1.4 disk and...
  11. N

With any slave processor, there will be a driver that gets GENned into the master operating system. Once the master is fully booted, and if it has the slave processor drivers present, it will begin polling the specific I/O ports that are configured in the PAR file, if it finds any slave...
  12. N

Yes, you have the idea correct, and there's a few caveats involved, but you've got the concept. If you run GEN STDSINGL.SYS, it should read in the STDSINGL.GEN and STDSINGL.PAR files and output a STDSINGLE.SYS file. Then if you want to test that operating system, you would run OSLOAD...
  13. N

Excellent! Have you familiarized yourself with the GEN and PAR files and how they are used to generate a new OS? There should be a copy of wordstar on the boot disk and you can view and edit them with "WS STDSINGL.PAR" for example. We will need to look at the .GEN file for the OS that is...
  14. N

Can you get 2 Gotek's wired up and working as Drive A and B? There's going to need to be some merging of files from different floppies in order to get the end result of running the 1100 Hard Disk controller with the rest of the boards.
  15. N

Excellent progress!! I think it's going to take some work to get TurboDOS 1.4x going on this set of boards. I don't think the 1.4x distribution disks from IMS included drivers for the model 401 floppy controller. We may have to fiddle around for a while and see if the older 1.3x drivers will...
Back