• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by NeXT

1. NeXT

Anyone who has built up a microchannel system with sound, compact flash, ethernet, etc., was it worth it?

We're allowed to make changes, alterations or use portions of it for our own ideas but legally, we are not allowed to distribute them. Apple straight-up made sure this was a "look, but don't touch" event. I still respect you though for doing this.
  2. NeXT

Recovering data from MFM drive if paired controller is dead

I call it unintended copy protection. Back in those days the cost for an intelligent drive was so high and it was so rare to swap drives between machines that it was just assumed the average person would never run into this problem.
  3. NeXT

Recovering data from MFM drive if paired controller is dead

It would fail because unless it's a very rare case the two controllers would always be different firmware and part revisions, which would in their own ways alter the unique way each controller reads and writes to a drive. It might position the head on the right tracks but the interleave might be...
  4. NeXT

Anyone who has built up a microchannel system with sound, compact flash, ethernet, etc., was it worth it?

Years ago when PS/2 hardware was not yet climbing up in value (it must of been 7 or 8 years ago) I built an MCA system out of an 8595 that was XGA + IrisVision, 32mb ram, 2gb hard disk, CD-rom, networking but no sound because cheap(er) sound solutions did not yet exist. The system ran for a week...
  5. NeXT

End of the Z80?

I'm hearing murmurings from the arcade crowd that a few of the larger shops are willing to commit to one last monolithic order in the hopes they can keep stock for another 20 years. If they don't eat the last batch I'm sure people will be starving for more chips for a while.
  6. NeXT

Vancouver Retro-Computing Expo 2024

What's the stance on a static display? I have an idea for a quick-to-assemble table but the computer itself is currently non-functional.
  7. NeXT

Fun and unique ISA cards....

The jumpers set the interrupt and BIOS address. That's it. Everything else is built-into the chip.
  8. NeXT

Pretty sure Future Domain had an 8-bit SCSI card where it was one VLSI chip, a few jumpers and a 50 pin header.
  9. NeXT

I'm swimming in weird ISA cards. Among them is a Gilbarco multi-channel gas pump controller, at least two ISA-based tuner cards (one requiring the VESA Feature Connector, a PCMCIA to ISA bridge board both in single and dual slot and the VIP card for my Forte VFX1 which if you ignore the VR...
  10. NeXT

Compaq LTE LCD Trouble

I picked this machine and its dock up (and again, it's missing the monitor hat...) from VCF East as "not working" and it turned out to be the AC adapter needed a recap. The machine runs aside from a missing hard drive and the usually floppy drive issues and it's actually very complete, the...
  11. NeXT

fun PCI cards to fiddle with?

Last I looked they were several hundred dollars, though that was before more modern USB based disk tools began to appear on the market.
  12. NeXT

Pacific Northwest ***WANTED MACINTOSH SE***

What part of the Pacific Northwest are you located in?
  13. NeXT

There's also cards like the Catweasl that was designed to support the reading and writing of a number of very weird formats, notably Amiga ones. That said, it's been touched by the Amiga Gods, which implies like any product for the Amiga that actually makes it do something cool (or you know...
  14. NeXT

This Canopus board supposedly came with a plugin for Premiere. Of course I don't have a CD for it but this was for a brief period how it was done and boy, did it occasionally limit what you could do. I got another Pinnacle board that's similar but a lot more cost reduced. The PCI card has two...
  15. NeXT

(ebay) System/32 Disks - Who bought them?

Someone linked them to me while I was at VCF East but I couldn't get into my paypal in time and they sold.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/296366394774 It was a listing for 18lbs of 8" floppy disks and a number of them implied they were all from an IBM System/32, including at least one official...
Back