• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Nicolas 2000

1. N

Repairing a 1997 Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM drive

I'll be able to try that in a few months when the SCSI stuff comes in. Meanwhile, plenty other repairs on the list.
  2. N

Not yet, as I have no SCSI stuff at the moment. But would that be required to make e.g. the tray button work?
  3. N

I received a 1997 Toshiba internal cd-rom drive, SCSI, conditon unknown. I have no other SCSI hardware or cables at the moment, those arrive at a later stage. But I understand that even with nothing but power connected to it (and I've confirmed it gets 12v and 5v), this drive should function as...
  4. N

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Looking at the back "good news" tips: -more than 1 VGA connector -any audio outputs -a "game port" joystick connector -generally lots of the available slots used instead of blanked -determine the year: lack of any USB port usually means older than PII era, lack of small PS/2 ports as well makes...
  5. N

In my experience: if you really hope to find an SLI paired Voodoo setup and an Adlib Gold 1000 in there, the box will actually have nothing but a fubar PSU, some loose cables and a mice nest in it. On a more serious note: these kind of cases actually had a tendency of being just a bit too small...
  6. N

Inside such a case can live the most boring Celeron build ever or a killer period gaming setup. You just couldn't tell in those days. I had such a boring case with a P200MMX with a 12MB Voodoo2, AWE64 and a 512kb cache mobo that would eat any game of the DOS/Windows transition period for...
  7. N

I don't know what I was googling before, but now I found the Sega SR-1000 data recorder for their 3000 computer. That is a very likely candidate (and we should have bought it!). Does't explain the wood grain though. Home mod?
  8. N

I have no photos so I'm being highly illegal in this thread, but here I go anyway: Around 1996 we saw an item at a car boot sale in Denmark. What we remember is that it had (fake) wood grain and a Sega logo on it. It might have been a cassette drive, but I'm not sure. Is there any obscure Sega...
  9. N

1988 Sony kv-p14d trinitron CRT repair

Fixed after resoldering everything inside the VIF box! You were exactly right. This TV set has taught me a lot by now...
  10. N

Thanks! This set has a metal box "tuner" and a metal box "VIF" which contains the AGC trimpot. I have a yet-to-be confirmed suspicion that touching the VIF box makes the signal drop away suddenly; if I don't touch it the signal sometimes drops away gradually. There's also a bit of circuitry...
  11. N

Hmmm I'm not about to replace anything yet: I was measuring stuff, and suddenly it worked for half a minute! Locked signal and all. I can't repeat it however...The soldering on the pcb looks fine. Edit: Upon further investigation, it seems to work fine after a cold start but quickly...
  12. N

If I'd want to replace the tuner, according to the service manual it's an UV-617. Philips UV617? Is there any reference list for compatible models?
  13. N

No 5V seems normal, according to schematic not connected. Strange that it's still silk screened, but there is no leg protruding either. After messing with the AGC trimmer, I can get a poor/unstable black&white or even color version and sound (still poor and unstable), but no lock. AGC still is...
  14. N

The buzz is not the speaker but the deflection circuitry. I'll just live with it. I'm now diagnosing the tuner. 12V ok. Agc 9.44V. 5V absent. I'm studying the schematic to see if that makes sense.
  15. N

I have -thanks to all the Gotek and external floppy drive capabilities of my upgraded Amiga- found a way to present profi test patterns onto the monitor, so I'll attack the dynamic convergence as soon as the other issues are solved, being the inability to tune to RF channels and a deflection...
Back