• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by pavery

1. P

Model III Holmes FDC & Real Time Clock

Here is the Basic program I wrote to Set & Read the RTC. Note: pokes values into MultiDos, so change maybe required to work with other Dos's. Also, I realise it could be shorter but I've left it this way so it's easy for anyone to modify, say to change from 24hr mode to am/pm. Philip
  2. P

Interesting. Thanks for that.
  3. P

Well, there was some luck involved in solving it quickly. I first in Basic did a FOR-NEXT loop which constantly INP from a range of ports & displayed on screen. I moved my range downwards from 255 & was delighted when I saw a digit increment every second from 0-9. This was the 'seconds' and it...
  4. P

Oh, so it does, thank you Eudimorphodon. Yes, I can now set mins, hours, etc. Wow, can't believe it's that easy - I was preparing for a major battle getting the RTC to work. I'm really enjoying using my Model III in stock/early-80s configuration as I now have the floppy drives working 100% -...
  5. P

Thank you all for the replies - we have some success! The first port I tried (230) seems to be the "latch" port. Sending values 0-12 (as per MSM5832 datasheet) selects all the different registers for subsequent inp(231). I can see time accumulating and it states 24 days since I applied power to...
  6. P

Thanks Jenz. I'll read up on that chip and maybe I'll get lucky outputting a command to a port... Philip
  7. P

No, I don't know & my machine is now all closed up. However Patrick B's thread on the same board has a photo of the board, but I can't read the chip number. I'll ask him as he'll have a higher-res photo.
  8. P

I would like to get the RTC going in my Model III which came as a feature on the aftermarket Holmes FDC DX-3D board it has fitted. I renewed the on-board battery, but first relocated it to make future renewals easy. I can't find any docs about this FDC + RTC, so have tried Newclock-80 port...
  9. P

Strange Characters on TRS-80 Model 4

I would suggest checking -5V supply.
  10. P

Looking for "BASIC/Z - Native Code Compiler" software

Thanks Chuck. I see, a proprietary system and appeared to be an impressive one for 1980. Thanks for the links.
  11. P

Looking for "BASIC/Z - Native Code Compiler" software

Chuck(G), I'd like to learn more about STAR BASIC. I can't find anything online about it, only North Star Basic. Ideally an online manual would be nice. Thanks
  12. P

Toshiba T3100e and RAM video

Does it still have the onboard Ni-Cd battery? Is it old? Once I snipped mine off & cleaned up the PCB, my T2100 came back to life & vertical line disappeared. See this post.
  13. P

TRS-80 Model 1 RS-232

Thanks Eudimorphodon, that was the hint I needed. Further research shows Micromint produced the COMM-80 interface which included RS-232 & parallel printer port. This article describes the board in detail. Philip
  14. P

TRS-80 Model 1 RS-232

In the day, was there a popular & practical add-on that gave a cassette-based Model 1 the RS-232 function without buying an Expansion Unit? Thanks Philip
  15. P

BIOS for Toshiba T2100

I disassembled the laptop & sure enough found a leaking on-board Ni-Cd with a degree of green fuzz underneath. I unsoldered it and cleaned up the fuzz with White Vinegar, then IPA. The drives & laptop are now 100% stable. Furthermore after some use the blank pixel column on the gas-plasma has...
Back