• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by RetroHacker_

1. R

Keytronic Pad Materials

The last time I made these, I was using antistatic bags as the mylar layer. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific source for any of the materials. I was using weatherstripping foam tape from the hardware store, old antistatic bags, and some thin plastic that I'd acquired... somewhere. My...
  2. R

PDP-11/05, won't deposit from front panel

I have a PDP-11/05 which won't deposit into memory from the front panel. I can examine, and I can run code already in memory, but I can't deposit. Toggling the deposit switch will display the correct value on the lights, and will increment the address, but nothing ever actually gets written to...
  3. R

A quick guide to floppy disks

It's funny. I hear lots of new/younger users whine and complain how "unreliable" floppy disks and drives are. They aren't. You're just doing it wrong. :D Cared for properly, floppy disks can be a very reliable medium. Sure, they're not as robust as a modern USB flash drive, but remember: this...
  4. R

Help with an old monitor

Looking back at the pictures you posted earlier... What is the word printed on the PCB below this connector? It looks like it says "SYNC" If this is true, then you have Red, Green, Blue and Sync. -Ian
  5. R

DEC Rainbow User's Guide

I found this yesterday while looking for information on the DEC Rainbow. I thought it was pretty good... especially considering the way the *actual* manuals for this machine are written. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Advanced User's Guide to...
  6. R

Wanted: NeXT monochrome monitor

I'm sick of looking at this lonely, headless NeXT slab. Does anyone have a monochrome NeXT monitor they don't need? Thanks! -Ian
  7. R

Wanted: Apple Profile hard drive, working or non

Looking for an Apple Profile hard disk, dead or alive, just so long as it's complete. -Ian
  8. R

Fun with upgrades - why I probably shouldn't be allowed near a soldering iron.

A 4 megabyte memory board for the Apple IIgs. This is a normal Apple 1mb expansion board, stripped of all it's sockets and RAM, with 4 1mb 30 pin SIMMs glued to it with carpet tape. Simply solder wires to the SIMMs and to all the relevant lines on the board (address, data, RAS and CAS). The...
  9. R

Looking for stray/unwanted Apple II hardware...

Working on project involving multiple Apple II computers, and I could use some extra hardware. Anyone got any of the ubiquitous ex-classroom II+/IIe/IIgs'en that could use new homes? Could also use disk drives and monitors, third party OK. I don't care if the stuff works or not, I have parts. -Ian
  10. R

Anyone got a dead Apple Profile?

Looking for a dead Profile for parts... Anyone got one hanging around? Thanks! -Ian
  11. R

Wanted: Apple III parts

I'm looking for a couple of parts for my Apple III - I need the '6' keycap for the numeric keypad, and a keyswitch. I'm also looking for an Apple III disk drive analog board. Thanks! -Ian
  12. R

Wanted: Sun monochrome monitor

I'm looking for a Sun monochrome workstation monitor for a Sun 3/60 or similar. Anyone have one that they would part with? Thanks! -Ian
  13. R

DOS NFS client?

One thing I've been trying to track down for a while is an NFS client for DOS. I'd really like to be able to mount an NFS share as a drive letter. I remember using something called (I think) PC-NFS a long time ago, but I can't find it now. Any ideas? -Ian
  14. R

Wanted: EPROMs

I'm looking for EPROM chips. Used/untested is fine. I'm particularly looking for larger chips - 2, 4 and 8 megabit 8-bit wide chips as well as 16 bit wide chips, but I use rather a lot of EPROMs, so if you have a pile you don't have a use for (any kind), let me know. Thanks! -Ian
  15. R

3480/3490 SCSI interface tape drive?

I've come across a whole pile of IBM 3480 cartridges, but don't have the associated drive. I know that many different types of drive exist that take these cartridges, such as the DEC TKZ60 and others. Anyone know of available drives? -Ian
Back