• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by rmay635703

1. R

Pentium 4

XP on the 2ghz celery I have can’t handle 100’s of photos on a phone at all , even w/ 1gb of ram. The way systems handled large external volumes improved on Eindows 7+
  2. R

Pentium 4

P4’s were in colleges and Businesses certainly but my school virtually ignored P4 and where I worked stayed with P3’s and Win 2k until 2012 and jumped to Core & Win 7 skipping XP and Vista. In the engineering world AMD seemed to be more popular during the P4 era.
  3. R

Pentium 4

When the p4 was contemporary nobody I knew owned one. (They were an elitist machine). Most everybody still had K6-2 or Celeron/P2 machines. And then like a year later Athlon/Duron My school had some random P4 1.3ghz & 1.4ghz machines but they shoehorned them into rather low end applications...
  4. R

Windows 3.0 EGA color driver for 8088

It did work 640x200x16 color (Windows 2/3.0 real)
  5. R

Can someone help me date my 5150?

When did 64k boards stop manufacture?
  6. R

identify 16 bit memory card

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue112/Memory_Expansion_Boards.php
  7. R

PC Archeology: One of first Compaq Deskpro 386 made... but how early?

If it’s early it won’t be marked either way. Sometimes the first batch were 32bit clean. I owned one where the person purchased a “bad” 386 beige box full tower on purpose to save money. Really sucked because it actually couldn’t run as much software as a 286.
  8. R

Unknown IBM 5150 Card

Ditto above, I wonder if it adapts to GPIB / HPIB or relates to old pos scanners / equipment. Hmm digital I/O?
  9. R

Anyone ever though about a clone/improvement on those RAM-drives?

It is if you can remove the disk interface overhead. Physical ram as virtual memory only requires an extra address instruction to decode as compared to in address ram, add the drive layer and max throughput drops fast. A ram device that is not behaving as a disk drive has a max output of about...
  10. R

I can easily have 64mb of virtual memory as it’s not tied to any physical address limit. Even with 2mb of ram in 386 enhanced mode I have a 20mb swap file setup and can run (very slowly) software that is designed for 8mb+ minimum. And I’m not able to expand its memory past 2mb and when I’ve...
  11. R

A more fruitful endeavor (possibly) would be to fix windows 3.1/95 memory service to directly support using virtual memory on an ISA/VLB or PCI card so the multitude of machines that had very low real or artificial memory limits could have a slightly faster memory option. As an example I have a...
  12. R

Are these suitable for cache RAM?

In theory that should be good for 20mhz right? Kind of an odd speed grade, unless it really overclocks many FPMs can cycle that fast (after the initial read on burst)
  13. R

Help to identify memory card ISA-16bit 2MB RAM

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62298&p=697105
Back