• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by RobertK

1. R

XT Clone: POST Memory Error 201

Ok, I have now replaced the faulty RAM chips, and I think that I finally have a fully working machine. I have bought a set of five Siemens HYB41256-15 chips from an Ebay shop in Poland. Before replacing any RAM chip, I got the idea to run a memory test with CheckIt. But I wasn't even able to...
  2. R

Outrun for DOS: Hercules Version?

Has there ever been a DOS version of Outrun with *working* Hercules graphics? The one at www.myabandonware.com has this outrun.exe menu screen... ...but pressing "4" immediately returns you to the DOS prompt. Interestingly, the version that I "obtained" :-) around 1990 had the outrun.exe...
  3. R

I did some more testing over the weekend, and things are getting even more complicated. My conclusion is that there is definitely some problem with the CGA/Hercules graphics card, and the RAM chips *could* still be ok. After the successful 640K RAM test with Hercules graphics, I tried the...
  4. R

Ok, I just did some testing. First, I configured the machine to Hercules graphics again, and the 4000 201 error was still there. So, there must be damage to one of the RAM chips in bank 1. I labelled each chip and began swapping each potentially bad chip with the "parity chip" U56. I started...
  5. R

Last weekend I replaced my broken Taiwan clone Turbo-XT motherboard with a working DTK PIM-TB10-Z board. I also replaced the 256K RAM that came with new board with the 640K from my old board, and the memory check ran ok and everything was working fine with a Hercules screen. Yesterday I...
  6. R

CP/M Games

My little game H-Tron now supports the Osborne 1 and the Tatung Einstein. A few more CP/M targets will hopefully follow. Osborne 1 Tatung Einstein
  7. R

DOS tool for centering the screen horizontally?

I was wondering if maybe a little DOS tool exists that allows you to center the screen "by software", in case that your monitor has no controls to do so. I'm asking because I have recently built a CGA to SCART adaptor, and the picture on one of my TVs looks like this: And I have noticed that...
  8. R

CGA to SCART adaptor

The problem is that this circuit has been spread on the net over the years without its descriptive text. Here is the original scan from the German book "305 Schaltungen" for those of you who can read German. It has also been published in a 1992 issue of the "Elektor" magazine. The author...
  9. R

H-Tron: a little DOS game for the Hercules graphics card

Hi all, I have recently written a little DOS game for the Hercules graphics card. It is the classical overhead view "Tron" game (motorcycles that leave "wall trails" behind them): The game concept is simple: if you crash into a wall, your opponent scores one point. Who first reaches five...
Back