• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by roberttx

1. R

The South IBM 5126 Technician Terminal (Vehicle Diagnostic System)

It's four hours drive from me, which makes it local, I guess. But I need to be selling right now, not buying. OTOH, it's 17 days away - by then I'll either have figured things out or I'll be beyond caring. So, if I do go for it, might as well try for this too.
  2. R

Texas Not exactly a fire sale but...

A quick update. I failed to hit the target but some fancy footwork on the part of my attorney has resulted in a new target of $3000 by Monday 10/16. It will cost me in the long run but I've got to make it that far first. So, I'm going to extend the sale until Monday. There has not been as much...
  3. R

Texas Not exactly a fire sale but...

Hey folks. It's been a while since I posted here. Without going into too much detail: divorce, isolation, depression, self destructive behaviors, bankruptcy - yep, I think that covers it. When all of the above was taking place, I shamefully neglected my business. I'm getting it back up to...
  4. R

Has anybody seen a LeCroy 3921 (I think) floppy drive for the 3500 Multibus System?

I have a LeCroy 3500 - not sure which particular variant. It's a Multibus machine, 8085 CPU, with built in CRT and a built in CAMAC crate. Mine is pretty rough, cosmetically but has enough boards to power on to a configuration screen. There's not a lot of info out there, but I found some...
  5. R

Multibus slot nomenclature

Thanks Dave. So, in this drawing from the spec, Slot 1 would be connectors J5 and optionally J5A, closest to the termination resistors?
  6. R

Multibus slot nomenclature

I've been reading up on Multibus and it's beginning to feel like either I'm overlooking the obvious or I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. The Intel spec labels the backplane connectors as J2, J3, J4, etc for P1 and J2A, J3A, J4A, etc for P2, with the lowest number furthest from the...
  7. R

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Here's the insides. The label on the IC reads OEM8A/32B and the only other markings that I can see on the PCB read "509-009 Rev 1.1" Googling tells me that the CH Products Pro Pedals contain a PCB marked "509-009 Rev 5.0", so I'm going to suggest that we're leaning away from a third party mod...
  8. R

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

This appears to be an early USB joystick, of some type, but there are no identifying markings on it whatsoever. Windows recognizes it as a HID compliant game controller and says that it's working properly but manipulating it has no effect on the mouse pointer. I say "early" because it came from...
  9. R

A question about London (UK) for those who are familiar with it currently.

We're going to be staying there for a couple of nights, next month. It's been over a decade since we lived there, so... 1: It the area around the V&A, Imperial, etc still decent and safe? There's a hotel there that SWMBO likes. 2: Did the gentrification of Kings Cross ever amount to anything...
  10. R

HP 9000-236 (9836CU) video cable.

My latest score is an HP 9836CU (so, color with a 68010 CPU and HP-UX support) with a 98625A disk interface. I got the matching monitor, along with a 7957 HDD. This might finally get me cooking with CS80, except... I don't have a video cable to connect the computer to the monitor. Googling...
  11. R

Modern Windows file systems and my ignorance of them.

I am far from being up to date with current Microsoft file systems and it has caused me a problem. This morning, I attempted to "downgrade" a laptop from Win 8 to Win 7 Pro. I did this in a hotel room in Oklahoma City, because what else is there to do there when it's too early for anything to...
  12. R

So, I quit smoking...

My last one was at 9PM on Thursday. I used Alan Carr's book (The easy way to stop smoking) and, so far, it's going well. It can get a bit tricky when I fall into old patterns of thought, but once I catch myself and get my head straight, I'm back on track. Friday, I learned two things: 1. My...
  13. R

Raspbery Pi terminal emulator

I have a few of those 1U deals with a keyboard and a flip-up LCD monitor and had long intended to fit Raspbery Pis to them, to use them as terminals with my rack mount systems. It occurs to me that the Pi part might be a good project for while I'm convalescing from my hernia surgery, in a...
  14. R

US electrical supply question

A friend of mine has bought a diner and the city want her to replace the outlets in the kitchen with ones that incorporate a GFCI. The inspector said something along the lines of if the ground is wired correctly then she would only need to fit them to the first one. I'm more familiar with the...
  15. R

Looking for info on some Olympia CP/M machines - ETX I, ETX II & EX 100

Some false hope, today, but not much more in the way of progress. I looked again at that Standard 300 and realized that there was a panel on the base that I hadn't looked inside. Removed it and found this: On the left is a 16 pin connector that looks a lot like what I'm looking for: Sadly...
Back