• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Robuck

1. R

Prodos and Applesoft Basic not friends with each other :(

Thank you so much! I think this solves my problem exactly. Talk to you next time I run into another confusing apple quirk.
  2. R

Prodos and Applesoft Basic not friends with each other :(

Hi, I'm trying to code a roguelike engine on my apple iie in applesoft basic with beagle bros program writer and compiler. My current hurdle is figuring out how to store and load maps. Currently, my program uses string arrays as maps, but it takes a lot of space in my program if I code them...
  3. R

Mid Atlantic Big 90's PC Case Needed

Hello, Remember the clunky steel monsters computer towers were in the early 90's? Me too. I am looking to build a new gaming PC inside one of the old cases, for space and aesthetic concerns. To be more specific, something that is beige, and mostly square in design. The rounded edge stuff has...
  4. R

Wimodem232 and Proterm on Apple//e

Hello, I’m trying to connect to bbs boards from my Apple iie using pro term 3.1 and a wimodem232. So far I’ve gotten everything to work for the most part, up to the point where I start issuing AT commands to the modem. My main question is how do I configure the WiFi network of my modem in...
  5. R

Apple II Analog to Digital converter cards

Hello, I recently bought an Apple II, and am greatly enjoying it. I would really like to know, are there any card slot cards that could turn the Apple II into a sort of microcontroller? My goal would be to read and send analog voltage through wires connected to the computer, possibly with BASIC...
  6. R

Northstar Advantage - Screen doesn't display anything

The solder joints look fine to me right now, but I am unable to take a very close look. I don’t have any wires to discharge the tube with and I’m afraid I’ll electrocute myself while taking it apart if I don’t. Here is a pictures of where the flyback transformer meets a board: And here is one...
  7. R

Northstar Advantage - Screen doesn't display anything

Hello, My name is Mark, and I just bought a beautiful Northstar Advantage from ebay. It was advertised as not working, and of course it doesn't. The only thing it does do is beep when I switch it on. I can hear the fan running, and the CRT screen makes the high pitched scream. Sometimes when I...
  8. R

Am I doing something wrong?

I can't boot the machine at all, which is why I am reaching out for help. After I get it to boot I can definitely figure out how to set everything up, but I am kind of stumped right now. The files on the CF card look like normal MS DOS system files, which is strange. Maybe the seller tried to...
  9. R

Am I doing something wrong?

Hello, I don't know if I am posting this in the correct place, but my problem may have something to do with hardware? Anyway, here we go. I recently purchased a "refurbished" Compaq Portable II from a seller on eBay. The seller is good, and has a 100% rating, so I don't think I am being scammed...
  10. R

QBasic: reading what character is displayed at a point on the screen?

Hello, I don’t know how well I can explain this, but I will try. I am fairly new to programming, and I’m making a small text graphics roguelike game. So far I have the movement and stuff set up, but my biggest hurdle is collisions. I had the idea to log the players position into a “memory”...
  11. R

Simple web hosting?

Hello, I just bought a Dell Optiplex GX1 to mess around with. I am currently working on connecting it to the internet, but when I am able to, I want to participate in the "Old Web". https://wiby.me/ is a website that searches only through early internet websites, mostly html1 stuff, but...
  12. R

Wanted: Standard home Windows 95 PC in Philadelphia area

Hello I’m looking for a crappy home computer from the mid 90’s, I’m talking mass produced compaq, dell, etc. It has to have an Ethernet card in it too, I plan on trying to play old school runescape or possibly a text based MUD on it. Monitor and keyboard are not needed, I have all of those...
  13. R

3com Ethernet Adapter

Hello, I love Windows 95, and sometimes 98. You may call it not “vintage”, but as a 17 year old they definitely are to me! I have a Vaio computer that I am trying to use Ethernet with in order to download and play Old School Runescape, but I’m running into some issues. The big roadblock is...
  14. R

Converting a car phone or old phone handset

Hello I know this doesn't really relate to vintage computers, but I'm not very familiar with other forums where it would be relevant. I am 17, and my mother recently bought me a brand new Dodge Challenger. I loved that car and instantly gained a lot of "cool points" with it, until I crashed it...
  15. R

Choice equivalent in qbasic

Hello I have been working a lot with qbasic on my 486 PC, and I am trying to make a roguelike game as practice. I can do most of the other stuff I need to code for the game, but my biggest problem right now is user input. Basically, I need there to be a way where you can press a key, and it...
Back