• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by ropersonline

1. R

I wonder if the physical size of the AT-bus (i.e. ISA) card was a mistake...

It is a relatively rarely-encountered... Ahem. "It is a truth greybeardishly acknowledged that a single AT ISA card in possession of maximum dimensions must be the cause of strife." No, but seriously: It is a relatively rarely-encountered but potentially significant annoyance to owners of...
  2. R

Has a game ever used the IBM 5151's "long" P39 phosphor to get around charset limits?

Has a game ever used the IBM 5151's "long" P39 phosphor to get around charset limits? Has there ever been a game or other program that took advantage of the long persistence of the P39 phosphor used in the IBM 5151 green screen monitor? Has this ever been used to get around the limitations of...
  3. R

Unusual find in an old 286 that has been untouched in years.

Looks to me like it might be a badly smudged 32.0 MHz, but it's admittedly really hard to tell with any confidence:
  4. R

Was CGA mode 5 secretly intended for anaglyph 3D?

I'm just after looking at the CGA specs, and it struck me how the undocumented mode 5 has, besides black and white, exactly the colours you'd need for anaglyph 3D with those cheap filter glasses. Was this intentionally done or just a happy little accident? Was mode 5 ever used this way? Is...
  5. R

CGA <-> VGA converters: (how) do they work?

During some curious googling, I've run across this ad for a cheap CGA <-> VGA converter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121805953708 I actually have both CGA and VGA monitors, but I am curious. Do converters like the above one work? And if so, how? I'm especially curious about the claimed...
  6. R

IBM 5150 / 5160 / 5170: Full length ISA card holders – Unitrack SPC 3000

If you have an IBM 5150 or 5160 or 5170 with full-length ISA cards (such as original CGA or MDA cards, some RAM cards, etc.), you may or may not have the little (ABS?) plastic card holders that clip into holes at the case chassis's front end and help secure these very long cards to hold them in...
  7. R

Need advice on how to best clean/de-rust an IBM 5051 w/o damaging it any further

Hi, I have an IBM 5150 that's been out of commission for a long time and that I want to restore. I've already dusted things off, but most parts need further cleaning to de-gunk and rust-strip them. I am particularly worried about damaging the electronics or the exterior surfaces with my...
  8. R

I have the Guide to Operations manual for the 5160, but want the 5150 one. Help? (UK)

I bought an IBM PC a while ago. I got printed manuals with the 5150, however the Guide to Operations is the wrong version. I have the Guide to Operations for the IBM PC XT (model 5160), but I have an original IBM PC (model 5150). The original owner never got the correct manual; the mix-up...
Back